Ch 7: We may not be a perfect family

but we love each other (until we don't)

*IMPORTANT NOTE: this is more like an interlude/bonus chapter actually centering more on misc bonten x reader Gen! interactions. it still ties in with the whole story, it's just there's less to zero sanzu in this one cus the focus will be more on the other bonten haha, so if you're here exclusively for sanzu x reader, you may skip this if you like!

.

.

Koko thinks of cats when he thinks of you; partly from the circumstances of your first meeting, partly 'cause of the way you sort of simply glide in and out of rooms quietly with the stealth and fluidity of one.

(Although Sanzu had insisted he thought more of ghosts and wraiths, a comment which Koko only made light of even though he wasn't wrong.)

She even kinda fights like a feline, he'd told Inupi one time all those years ago, as he thought of the way your lithe and minimal movements were always able to take bigger guys down along with the quiet ferocity to match.

Maybe she learns from all the cats back in the shrine, Inupi responded—a joke, essentially, in his own terms. Koko suppressed a smile: cat and dog, you and her, maybe that's why you two get along so well went his own, sad attempt at humor, because you and your second-in-command were obviously very close and very unlike cats and dogs. The joke, however, sadly did not seem to land, and Inupi's forehead only creased, his expression dumbfounded.

That's not how it works.

Koko never forgets the day you were first introduced by Mikey. It's at the back of Toman's abandoned shrine, at the edge of the thick forest surrounding the area, that their new leader had said they'll be meeting Black Dragon's temporary captain. He never specified what anyone would be doing in the forest at this hour in the afternoon, and neither him nor Inupi had asked, but then there you were: in your bare feet and in your school uniform, attempting to move a big pot of plant from one spot of land to another, your expression almost annoyed. (At the pot, most likely, which did not seem to budge.)

Mikey called your attention still a few meters afar:

"Hey. Whatcha up to—"

in a tone that very clearly did not seem to intend to place whatever you were up to above this particular Toman business at the moment, so really, it would not have made any difference whether you answered or not. Which you didn't, only glancing at your president once—not with the angry expression, at least—before continuing with your ordeal.

The pot nudged just a tiny bit.

Only when Mikey finally stopped right in front of you and you noticed Koko's and Inupi's figures behind him did you finally stand straight, looking at Mikey quizzically. "What's up?" Quick nods to Inupi and him. "Hello."

Mikey briefly introduced all of you and proceeded to explain that you were to be formally placed as the Black Dragon's new captain today, to which your eyes slightly widened.

"Oh, I thought you said tomorrow."

Mikey hesitated at first but then shrugged. "Hm, they came here already today so I thought might as well. Come on, it'll be quick."

You narrowed your eyes at him and then to his two quiet companions but then so agreed anyway, and as Mikey ushered you in front nobody else aside from Koko seemed to notice your lack of shoes. You'd only taken a few steps ahead when you tugged at the sleeve of Mikey's coat, making him pause.

"I don't have my Toman jacket," which was obvious but was not what Koko was expecting for you to say, if he were to be honest.

Mikey looked at you blankly. "Well, where is it?"