Letters

Dearest Jenna,
When I came to your house this morning, you did not come to the door. It saddened me, but I understand. I came back to Ecarte with the absolute worst intentions and ruined everything.
Although I do not deserve it, I am begging your forgiveness. You have always been with me since we were just small. It was you who would not budge from my side when I was mourning the passing of my mother and again when my father was buried beside her. You made me feel that, despite losing them, there was still someone in this world who wanted me to remain in it.
While at the institute, I wanted to excel in my trade. I wanted to belong. I wanted to make a difference in the world and felt bitter in knowing my father died trying. So, in anger and distrust, and a chance at being some hero, I arrived home.
In being here I accomplished nothing, only tried to harm a good man and hurt my oldest and dearest friend.
Again, I am asking for some shred of forgiveness from you. I do not expect you wanting to continue with me as a suitor. You need and deserve more than what I am right now, but I still very much care for our friendship, albeit possibly damaged beyond repair because of my thoughtless actions.
By the time you read this, I'll be heading back to the mainland to go back to school. I feel I've been given the truth from a good heart and it is time to separate from those who can not accept it. Focusing on my studies and succeeding in them is my one and only goal now.
I will continue to send letters to you, but do not feel you must respond if you don't want to.
Yours Always, Casper

* * *
Gilbert-
Your marriage license has been notarized and now official. The legal certificate should be arriving soon for your records.
There is the matter of reporting to the Leidenschaftlich embassy in Leiden as soon as possible to reinstate the fact that you are indeed alive. A dead man's name on a fresh marriage license is frowned upon. In fact, dead MILITARY OFFICERS who turn up actually alive is met with very high suspicion, and that is putting it lightly. You have ME to thank for getting you out of a very sticky situation, but your heroic contribution also redeemed you. So, consider yourself lucky. The powers that be are willing to overlook it, namely a certain Colonel Foxx who spoke very loudly on your behalf.
DB

                            *      *     *

Dear Violet,

       The baby was born August 11th at 2:30 in the morning.  We named her Ellenora Baudelaire Hodgins,  after Claudia's late mother.  She is a pretty little thing, with my hair and her father's eyes. 
      We hope to take a holiday to see you maybe by Springtime.  Ellenora will certainly be a handful, but much more able to travel by then. 
      Of course, this will all depend on your condition by then.  Coming to see you in April might cut it close to your time to give birth. Sometime in May might be the better option.
     If you have any more questions about this whole pregnancy issue, please do not hesitate to ask. I will do my upmost best to answer them as best as I can. 
     It seems that you are doing everything you need to be doing to be successful. There will, however, be a time when you shouldn't be toting about a huge bag of mail. 
     Hope to hear from you soon.  All of our love, Cattleya
                               *     *     *

Dear Mr. Baugainvillea,
        My mother and grandmother read the letter you sent home with us the first day of school.  They talked over it by themselves, then they read it to me. 
       At first, I did not understand and they had to explain a lot about the war.  I do not remember my father but I know he did not return.  He is not even buried here.  My mother and grandmother have pictures and memories, though. They try to talk about the good times while he was alive, and not cry so much about the war.  I am very lucky to have these women to keep up my spirits when I am feeling down. 
       I also feel lucky that I have been able to be in school, and have a teacher who is kind and patient when I struggle with my lessons. 
       My grandmother's eyesight is failing and can not read much anymore.  I read to her from the adventure books you let us borrow from the classroom.  We both enjoy this activity so much!
       I want you to know that it truly does not matter to me how or why you came to Ecarte.  I only know that my life here will be all the better because you are here.  Whether your name is Mr. Jilbert or former Major Baugainvillea of the enemy army, I will never have regrets that you and your wife Violet came to live with us on our island. 
       Your pupil and friend,
Reggie Mauler