four

seating plans, oh sir professor シ

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

ROSALIE DIDN'T NOTICE that Professor McGonagall was talking to her until she was tapped twice on the head with a stack of timetables.

"Hey! Oh, sorry, Professor. I was lost in my head. Were you talking to me?"

McGonagall looked at her carefully but made no comment on her odd behaviour.

"Yes, indeed I was," she replied. "We need to discuss your N.E.W.T. subjects."

Rosalie looked up in surprise, frowning as if she had completely forgotten about N.E.W.T.s.

"N.E.W.T.s?" she questioned. "Now?"

"Yes, now," responded McGonagall dryly. "You passed all your subjects with Exceeds Expectations or higher, well done -" She gave Rosalie a rare smile, which she returned, "- and I see you've applied to take Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, Charms, Defence Against The Dark Arts, Potions and Transfiguration, am I correct?"

Rosalie nodded in assent.

"And have you thought anymore on your career options?" McGonagall asked.

Rosalie shook her head. McGonagall gave sigh.

"Have a think, for me, Rosalie, OK?" she said, her tone surprisingly soft. "Please? And come and find me when you have a few options."

Rosalie didn't really see the point. Even if she found something that she wanted to do, she didn't really get a choice anyway. Soon she would be betrothed to someone, and the best case scenario that could come out of that would be allowing her to work at the Ministry. Pureblood women were only meant to stay at home and have children, a sentiment that Rosalie, naturally, abhorred.

McGonagall threw the girl another careful glance and moved on to Seamus Finnigan, who began immediately pleading his case with her to allow him to continue Transfiguration.

Ancient Runes was quite uneventful, Professor Babbling choosing to spend the lesson outlining the course rather than set them any work. That was until the end of the lesson, when she set them...

    "We got so much homework for Runes," Hermione said anxiously when Harry and Ron joined them waiting outside the Defence classroom. She was holding four books, two scrolls balanced precariously on top, a velvet pouch full of runes, and two ink pots. "A fifteen-inch essay, two translations, and we've got to read these by Wednesday!"

    "Shame," yawned Ron. Rosalie hit him with one of her own scrolls.

    "You wait," Hermione said resentfully. "I bet Snape gives us loads."

    Rosalie was convinced that Snape had super-hearing, as the moment Hermione spoke the door flew open and he emerged, glaring at them all, his long, black hair looking greasier than ever. There was immediate silence, even from those not in the class who were just passing by. No one wanted to anger Snape on the very first day.

    "Inside," he said, and they hurried inside, Ron and Harry immediately grabbing them desks right at the back, where they would be less likely to be on the receiving end of Snape and his... unpleasantness.

    "Not so fast, Potter, Weasley," he drawled, striding to the front of the classroom. "I have decided, that due to past... experiences... with some of you in this class, that it would be prudent to make a seating plan."

    There were many shouts of protest as he said this, and many glares towards Harry, Ron, Hermione and Neville, who were, of course, the most likely reasons for this new rule. Rosalie, however, knew better, and her eyes flickered to Malfoy, who was standing only a few feet away from her, and glaring furiously at the professor.