Chapter 3

"The house is in danger!"

The music stopped as the party came to a screeching halt.

"The tile were falling, and there were cracks everywhere. And the candle almost went out!"

The crowd began to murmur as everyone began to panic.

Abuela fixed her shawl, a serious look on her face. "Show me."

They all follow Mirabel outside. However when they all crowded at the top of the stairs, there was nothing to be seen.

No tiles we're fallen. There were no cracks on the wall. And more importantly, the candle was not about to go out.

Casita was still standing. No damage in sight.

"What?" Mirabel spoke, her voice waning. "No, that's... the cracks were there. They were everywhere. The house was in trouble. The candle was.."

A few feet away from where she stood, Alix heard a scoff. She side eyed Isabela, watching as she rolled her eyes.

"Abuela, I promise. You can ask Alix!" Alix froze at the mention of her name. "She saw it too-"

"That's enough." Abuela silenced her. She turns back to the crowd. "There is nothing wrong with La Casa Madrigal. The magic is strong! And so are the drinks."

The guests all give small laughter.

"Please! Music! A bailar! A bailar!"

Luisa carries in a piano as her dad begins to play a song. Everyone soon heads back into the room, dancing and chatting.

All but a few.

Alix gazed at Mirabel with sorrowful eyes. She looked confused and worried as she stared at everyone leaving.

Soon enough, tía Julieta took her away into the kitchen to heal her hand.

"Well uh," Camilo rasps. "I don't think Abuela's in the mood for that retake now."

She grabs his hand and makes her way to kitchen. "Come with me to check on Mirabel."

As they walked down from the side steps, Alix could hear the two woman faintly speaking.

"I know what I saw!"

A sigh.

They were about to round the corner before she was pulled back. Camilo shushes her as they listen in.

"Mira, you know my brother Bruno lost his way in this family."

The hidden pair freeze at the mention of Bruno. Camilo's uncle.

"I don't want the same for you. Get some sleep. You'll feel better tomorrow. And you too-"

Julieta raises her voice and looks ahead. From where she stood she could Camilo's curly hair, and Alix's skirt peeking out from the corner.

Alix slowly walks in, a sheepish grin on her and Camilo's face. They've been caught red handed.

"Hola tía." They said together, cheeks red from embarrassment.

"If you two would like, I have extra arepa's for you to eat. I'll go ahead and make myself scarce."

She kisses Mirabel's cheek and walks away. Now it was just the three of them.

"Uhm-" Camilo's voice cracks slightly before clearing his throat. "Are- are you okay Mirabel?"

"Uh," Mirabel adjusts her glasses. "I'm fine. Well as fine as can be. Just uh, a little frazzled you know?"