Chapter 2: Leading by Example Part II

I found Sasuke trying to sneak out with the crowd of students leaving when I pulled him to the side of the classroom.

"The answer is no." Sasuke said, avoiding my gaze.

"Come on, please." I held my hands together, begging.

"I have things to do."

"Like what?"

"Anything that isn't this." Sasuke was being more adamant than usual. I was sure he wanted to train some more, but he needed a break, as did I. My hand grazed the cut on my cheek, then his stomach rumbled.

"How about we just go and get something to eat. My treat." I said, dangling a pouch filled with Ryo.

"How do you have so much?"

"With the power of saving." I smiled.

"Fine." He said, finally giving in. "But if those two go at it, I'm leaving."

"You heard him ladies. Play nice." I said, looking at Sakura and Ino, who were listening in on us the whole time.

"Ok so we each get one shoulder." Ino said, creating a compromise.

"Sounds fair." Sakura nodded.

For the first time since the Uchiha massacre, I saw Sasuke's eyes darken with fear. I patted him on the back and whispered in his ear. "Don't worry, we'll go to your favorite spot Yakiniku Q." That seemed to relax him a bit. Good. "Ok ladies, he's all yours. Try not to kill him please." I walked off, ignoring my brother's whimper. He needed this. I don't think we'll have much time to goof off once we're assigned to teams.

"I'll be coming too." Sui said with a smile.

"Good, so that's five—"

"Munch! Munch! Munch!"

Who the hell is chewing in my ear... oh. I turned and saw fumes shoot from the kid's nose.

"Yakiniku Q is my favorite." Was all he said before he went back to eating a bag of chips. That was Chōji Akimichi, a red-headed round kid who seemed to be a better ninja than both Ino and Sakura. I had whispered where we were going, but it seemed he could hear everything when it came to food.

"Well, I did say everyone... but please don't break my wallet." I opened my pouch there was a ton of gold coins inside. "I should still have some leftover. Even with 6 people." I muttered.

"Make that seven." A kid with a sunken look walked up. I was so sure Shikamaru Nara was still asleep or had left to go home, but I guess not.

"I thought you hated going out places?" I knew him as lazy but smart since he seemed to somehow pass class with his eyes closed.

"Social situations are a drag... but the moment I go home and tell my parents I'm a Genin, they'll probably take me out anyway. Yakiniku Q is right next to my house, so we'll end up there." He let out a sigh. "Once there, my dad will see you guys and ask why I didn't go out with you. I would try to make up some excuse only to eventually be forced to hang out with you guys anyway. It's going to be a drag either way, so this just saves me time... and money."

"...Y-you really thought of everything." I did not like how Shikamaru added the money part, but I guess so. "Ok, so that's seven. I think that's everyone—" I felt a tap on my shoulder, and I looked at Sui. "Please don't tell me."

Before I could turn around, a body leaned on me. It was all fuzzy and smelled like dog. Only one person in class fit the bill. He had his arm around my neck and his face super close to mine as if we were best friends.