Chapter 9 - Maybe it was

Liz

The moment I pulled away replayed in head, remembering the regret I felt when we locked eyes for a few seconds. It isn't something I should be regretting but I do. She seemed happy, her eyes sparkled just like every time she enjoyed something. As for me, it didn't feel that way, it felt wrong.

Hurting her is the last thing I want to do but through my actions, I might already have. Now the roles have been reversed, she likes me but I can't reciprocate the feelings.

"Jiwon-ah~ Come on, get up" My mum pulled me up from sinking into the couch as Yujin-unnie sat beside me.

"I told your mum what happened..." I stared in her in disbelief. She agreed not to say anything and yet she did. "Look I'm sorry but I'm worried for you and your mum has that right to know"

"Jiwon-ah, why don't you invite your friends to the family vacation house? That way you can have some bonding time and fix whatever it is between you and Rei." Gently rubbing my back, accompanied by her soft voice. This was the first time my mum let non-relatives to the vacation house, I was surprised.

"She's you're best friend, don't let her go because you might never find someone you love as much as Rei"

Those words got stuck in my head, trying to process how I'm supposed to fix things.

"Mum.. can I bleach my hair?"

Saturday morning, I sat at the table in front of the house, waiting for my friends to arrive. Yujin-unnie was inside, choosing the room she wanted to stay in.

Seeing a car stop at the road, I opened the door and shouted. "Yujin-unnie!! They're here!!"

I turned around to meet four shocked faces. Judging by where they were looking, they were surprised to see my blonde hair.

"Wow~ Barbie what did you do to Liz?" Wonyoung came up to me, playing with the strands of my bleached hair.

Not long after, so did Leeseo. "It really suits you Liz-unnie"

"When did you get it done?" Gaeul-unnie asked, also playing with my hair.

"The same day Yujin-unnie texted you. Actually I was getting my hair bleached at the same time"

The door opened, revealing the puppy with a smile on her face. "Let's choose roommates"

After hearing her words, I hesitantly turned my eyes towards Rei who stood awkwardly behind everyone. My heart started to speed up as I found her already looking at me.

Everyone followed Yujin-unnie, entering the place that they'd be staying in for three weeks. I suggested a house tour so that they could see the whole place.

We gathered on the couch upstairs, writing three names and putting it in a hat.

"Okay so I wrote the three youngest's names and us, the older three will pick out of this bowl. Whoever you get is your roommate"

Gaeul-unnie chose first as she is the oldest. "My roommate is.. our baby Leeseo"

The said baby got excited and Wonyoung, who sat beside her, had to make her calm down.

Yujin-unnie and Rei picked up their piece of paper, opening it simultaneously.

"Wonyoung"

"Liz"

I sat at the edge of bed, slightly uncomfortable with the awkwardness that crowded the room. Rustling sound of a bag being opened was the only things audible in the room.

Neither of us spoke or wanted to, doing our own things without disturbing the other. My fingers scrolled on my tiktok for you page as my ears were filled by the sounds of the video through my airpods.

She kept unpacking and I secretly listened in case she did speak. I couldn't bring myself to make the first moved, so I waited for her to don't.

I heard her stop her movements, making me do the same.

"Was it a mistake?" She asked, her voice on the verge of breaking.

I turned around and put my airpods back in it's case. Was it? I regret doing it so yeah it was.

"I don't know.. maybe it was. I just regret it" My eyes stayed darting at her.

Her bottom lip began to quiver as she lowered her head. An aching feeling hit me like a truck as I witness her current state.

"Really? Because I don't regret any of it" A tear fell.

𑁍