Ch6 - To the mountains

After what seemed like an eternity, the footsteps started to get quieter and sounded further away. Anacleto was the first to uncover his ears, he then gestured to me that it was fine and I followed suit. We then hastily exited the basement and started to walk North. Before we got too far, I checked behind us to see 117 in its horror and there it was. At least as tall as a redwood tree, its skin the colour of ash - if you can call it skin. It was more of a sludge. I could've examined it further but Anacleto grabbed my arm and, with a quick warning, dragged me away. Shortly after that, I heard a loud grunt. I looked back and the grey giant was staring directly into my eyes. The sky blackened to a point where I could barely see. I turned and ran, only to collide with my gay friend, who then saw the experiment and ran with me. We beelined for the mountains and it followed us at a scarily similar pace. There was no way we could outrun it, we had to outsmart it. I spotted a cave in a cliff face and dragged Anacleto toward it. We hid behind a rock while it thundered past our hiding place. I looked around for a way out and saw what looked like a manmade tunnel. I pointed it out silently and the two of us crept toward it. I noticed the orange, flickering glow of a flaming torch and I smiled. There were other survivors!
"Don't get the wrong idea, the glow from a fire might not mean there are people there." my friend hissed at me.
"Key word there: might. You're saying there is a chance there are people there." I shot back.
"I'm saying there is a chance this could be a trap." he said in a very matter-of-factly tone.
" 'Could'." I smiled. Anacleto rolled his eyes and we headed into the tunnel.

Author note:

Hello and a happy new year! Sorry about not posting, I'll post a few parts today. I'm writing ch20 so I won't run out of spare chapters to post (hopefully). Don't worry, it gets better as it goes on! (also sorry for the short chapter)

Sneaky spoiler, I'm writing extra bits to go along with this. Not sure if I should post it along with this, at the end or as a completely different story.

Anyway, thank you for reading this! It means an insane amount to me.

Cheers, fallsavenue