Chapter 50

This didn't feel real. Was it possible I was dreaming? My knees felt weak, I felt like I going to fall to the  floor. My instincts immediately kicked in.

"They're pain meds. I have a headache. Livianna said I could borrow them." I say, each word sounding riddled with dishonesty.

"Gia..." Cristiano starts to say. His jaw clenches, and his hands ball into fists. He was a flaming ball of anger that was about to burst. I needed to get out of this room.

"I know." He finishes. I stare back at him. What did that even mean. I couldn't think straight, I suddenly felt overheated and dizzy.

"Wh-what?" Is all I could manage to get out. He slowly starts to walk towards me. I would've backed away from him, if I wasn't completely frozen in place. Soon, his body was just a few inches away from mine.

"I said," Suddenly he grabs the hair on the back of my head, and pulls my face dangerously close to his. Not hard enough to hurt me, but just enough to keep me in place. "I know."

It suddenly hit me. He knew about the plot. I was too scared to say anything. What could I say? Fear encapsulated my body as I realized that I was going to be killed tonight. I had betrayed this whole family. I was caught, and there was nothing I could do. I had to accept my fate. But there was still a part of me that wanted to live. That wanted to fight my way out of this.

"Diavolo raped Livianna, did you know that? He was a suspect in an attack on your life. You don't even remotely like him. Yet you're going to kill me for trying to get rid of that scum." I say, trying to stay as calm as possible.

His grip on the back of my head tightened, and I winced in pain.

"Who says I'm going to kill you, Gia?" He says tauntingly. The smirk on his face made me uneasy, yet his words sent a wave of relief through my body. But that quickly faded as I remembered he had plenty of other ways of making me suffer.

"You should kill me, Cristiano. I betrayed you. I was going to kill your own flesh and blood. And if you don't kill me, I will go through with it." I say, gesturing towards the pills that were still in his hand, in my voice trembling. I meant every word. This was the most honest I'd ever felt with him.

He let out an ominous chuckle, tilting my head back even further.

"Maybe that's exactly what I want. Maybe I wanted to see how far you would take this little plot of yours, and if you could actually get away with it." He says in an almost cruel tone. His words make the the blood drain from my face.

"H-how long have you known?" I ask, my voice wavering under his intense and threatening gaze. He scoffs at me.

"Why does that matter?" He says, gripping my hair even harder. I cry out in pain and push against his chest.

"Please! You're hurting me!" I exclaim. The more I struggle against him the harder he grabs me.

"And you think that your betrayal didn't hurt me?" He says, as if he was suffering on the inside. I could see the hurt in his eyes.

It was then I realized what I had done. I had already felt guilty for betraying him. But seeing his face right now felt like some kind of pain I had never felt before. His expression said everything.

I had lost his trust completely.

"I've known since the very beginning. Since you and Livianna started plotting this stupid fucking assassination." He says, the sadness in his eyes fading away, and turning back to anger.

Confusion clouds my brain.

"I don't understand. If you knew then why didn't you try to stop me?" I say, not even trying to hide my fear. He hesitates before answering.