The Outside---Lucy Pevensie

Author's Note: Hello, My Dear Little Friends! When I first began this one-shot months ago, it was going to be my one-shot inspired by Taylor Swift's The Outside. Since then, I have discovered so many other songs this could be (some of which almost fit it better than my original choice). To stick with my original intention, I have named it after and attached The Outside by Taylor Swift, as this one-shot's "official" song. But, I also thought I should mention some of the other songs I was listening to while writing it: Skin by Sabrina Carpenter, Liability by Lorde, Wondering by Olivia Roderigo, Nothing New by Taylor Swift, Keep Your Head Up Princess by Anson Sebra, and Right Where You Left Me by Taylor Swift. The main theme in this story is something I think many people can relate to, so if that is you, I hope you can find some sort of healing in it. Enjoy!

~~~

 Lucy felt the air rush out of her lungs. Her cheeks and ears burned, and she felt a prickly sensation all over her body. Don't cry. Don't cry. Not yet. Not right here.

"Lucy, are you okay?" Marjorie asked.

Lucy forced a smile, "Yes," she said, swallowing the lump in her throat. She hoped her friends wouldn't notice the husky edge to her voice, "I've just remembered I forgot to drop off a paper at the office. I'll meet you at supper."

That was a lie, but before she had time to feel guilty, she was scampering away. Make it to the Headmistress's office, make it to the Headmistress's office.

She burst through the door. The secretary looked up, surprised.

"I'm sorry," Lucy stumbled over her words, "for pushing the door so hard, I mean. It was bad manners. I didn't mean to frighten you."

The secretary looked blankly at Lucy, and so she drove on.

"I would like to use the student phone, if I may. I've not used all my calls for the month."

The secretary nodded to the phone mounted on the wall. Lucy knew how to use it. And she knew the number she was about to call by heart.

"Saint Alfred's School for Boys, how may I help you?" The voice on the other end said.

"Hi, this is Lucy Pevensie. May I speak to Peter Pevensie, please?"

"One moment please."

Lucy knew it wouldn't be one moment. It was never one moment. They had to find someone to track down Peter. If they couldn't find him, he'd be told to call her back, and the same thing would happen on her side. This is why she was meant to write letters to her siblings, and only call her parents, except in emergencies. This was an emergency.

"Lu?" Peter's voice was etched with concern.

"Peter," She choked on a sob as the word sputtered out.

~~~

She'd been minding her own business. She'd been innocently roaming the halls, as the girls chattered beside her. This is what she got for walking with Anne Featherstone, but she couldn't really say no to her, could she?

"In English, I wrote a story about a fairyland," Lucy was saying, "it was inspired by the Brothers Grimm."

Anne sniffed, "You wrote that even after what they've been saying?"

Lucy's eyebrows furrowed, "What do you mean? What who's been saying?"

"The other girls. The whole school."

"About what?"

"About you."

Lucy could feel her nerves pricking, "I've no idea what you're talking about."