chapter two

chapter two
KICK SOME ASS
(season one, episode one; wolf moon)

"BE CAREFUL, OKAY?" Aunt Sam mumbled a few days later, a frown dancing on her lips

"BE CAREFUL, OKAY?" Aunt Sam mumbled a few days later, a frown dancing on her lips. She brushed a loose strand of short sandy blond hair behind Eli's ear, her eyes never leaving her nephew's. After being abandoned on her doorstep when he was three and his sister was six, Sam raised her niece and nephew as if they were her own. She was their mother in everything but name. Her frown twitched into a small smile as she continued, "And kick some ass."

A chuckle sounded from their left. Uncle Ray placed his hand on his wife's shoulder as he softly smiled. His gold wedding band shone brightly against her dark brown wavy strands. Immediately, she leaned away from his touch. Eli ignored the action and the pain in his uncle's eyes that followed when he dropped his hand to his side. And Eli undoubtedly ignored the ugly churning of his stomach. As if it never happened, Uncle Ray's smile remained, although fractured under the weight of the world. "You'll do great, kiddo. Be cautious of the over-rotation in your throws though, just like we practiced."

Uncle Ray was a former college lacrosse player and a good one at that. While the sport was pushed on Eli as he grew up, mainly because his uncle wasn't ready to close the lacrosse chapter of his life yet, uncle Ray loved how Eli was just as obsessed with the sport. It was their thing. It was how they connected. So several times a week, if not every day, the pair could be found in the Montgomery backyard practicing lacrosse with Binks — their overenergetic and kind of evil chihuahua.

"Yeah," his aunt nodded, pretending as if nothing had happened at all. "Just have fun and kick some ass."

"Aunt Sam, it's just a scrimmage."

She stared at him blankly, her blue eyes twinkled in the light of the floodlight. "And?"

"I'm playing against my teammates."

Aunt Sam's face softened and she sighed. "I'm just so proud of you. And I love—"

"—Seeing me kick ass." Eli nodded slowly, finishing his aunt's phrase, which caused an amused chuckle to fall from her mouth.

"We're proud of you, kid," Uncle Ray said.

From the middle of the field, Coach shouted, "Let's go! Gather around!"

"Gotta go. Love you guys," Eli blurted before turning around and rushing down the bleachers with his helmet tucked under one arm and his stick held firmly in his hand.

Uncle Ray shouted, "Good luck!"

When his feet met the soft grassy terrain, his shoulder knocked into someone's chest. Raising his head the slightest bit, he first noticed the moles scattered along the teen's cheeks and Eli's heart fell from his chest. However, when their eyes met, Eli nearly froze in place. He could hear his heartbeat, the loud lub-dub becoming the taunting soundtrack of his embarrassment.