Chapter 8

EricaPOV (Future)

After a few minutes the sobbing came to a halt. Sofia had fell asleep on me, cheeks wet from tears, her soft snores the only sound in the quite room. I ran my hand down her hair. There were footsteps coming from behind me. I sniffed the air, a growl coming up in my throat.

"What do you want Lensherr?" I asked.

"You have been gone for sometime, I wanted to make sure that you--the both of you were alright." Erik said.

"I'm fine. We both are. So why don't you just leave?"

"If that is what you wish...but I wish to stay. We need to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Erica--"

"Don't!"

Sofia stirred. I moved her head off my shoulder, placing her head lightly on a pillow that was to the side of me. I got up and made my way towards Erik.

"Don't you dare Erica me! I'm not the one who picked hatred over love! Violence over peace! You abandoned us Erik!" I said.

"I picked us! Mutants brothers, and sisters! I wanted you to come with me, to join me! The both of you! Help fight beside me for our cause!" He said. I shook my head.

"No! No it was your cause! Tell me one good thing your cause had to offer?! Other than the death of many?"

Before he could say anything, I spoke again.

"And not just humans, mutants too! Mutant brothers and sisters who fought beside you and died!"

"All I wanted was to make this world a better place for our kind, for us to not hide and cower. We should have ruled this world. We are superior, children of the atom. The humans were not."

"Why did you have to become just like Shaw?! Why couldn't you just take my hand?! WHY ERIK?!" I yelled.

I took a deep breath and moved a step back from him.

"If we had went with you Sofia's mind would have been corrupted with hate, hate towards the non-mutants, or she could have been captured by Trask, get experimented on! It would be just like what Klaus did to us all over again, but worse! She'd be dead! DEAD Erik! I would have lost the only family I had left. I would never let that happen." I say.

I frowned. My eyes casting down towards the ground.

"I thought we could all be together. Be a family. Be on the same path. But you made your choice. And then...then we were on different paths. And to think that I actually loved--" I stopped.

My eyes became watery but I held back the tears. Erik made a step forward but I put a hand in front of him.

"Just leave, Erik. And stay away from me and my sister."

~~~~~~

EricaPOV(Past)

I was in a peaceful sleep. Until I felt something soft and cold brush lightly against my lips. I opened my eyes and found Erik kneeling beside me, eyes trained on my lips as his fingers move to brush against my cheek.

It was raining outside, a storm. I could hear the rain hitting the window next to me. I noticed that I was moved from my seat, and was laying down on the little couch Erik was sitting on before. I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Move. Away. Now." I said.

His eyes looked up and met mine.

"I didn't mean to wake you." He whispered.

I looked around the room. Logan and Charles were both asleep. Hank still up at the wheel.

"What do you want Lensherr?" I asked.

"You know what I want. We need to talk." He said.

"I don't want to talk to you. I have nothing more to say to you. Now leave me alone."

"Erica, I'm sorry I left."

I rolled on to my side, my back facing him. I heard Erik sigh.

"I was just doing what I had to protect our people. Insuring a brighter future." He said.

"Oh, so killing the president helped insure a brighter future?!" I asked.

"That wasn't my intent."

"The bullet curved Erik, we all saw it on tv."

"That's because I was trying to save him. He was one of us."

I turned onto my back and scoffed. When Erik facial expression didn't change my eyes widen.

"He was a mutant?" I asked.

Erik nods his head. I frowned.

"That poor man...you suck at saving people." I said.

"I suppose I do. Along with many other things....like earning you're forgiveness and wooing you back into my arms."

"My forgiveness is not so easily earned. Not that you'll ever earn it, anyway."

It was silent for a moment. I looked out the window as Erik looked down at the floor. I took a deep breath.

"When you didn't take my hand it was like salt to a wound. Heartbreak plus a broken wing...I was in pain. 2 months after you left I had isolated myself from my everyone, never left my room, my own sister was afraid I'd end up harming myself.

It was in that last month that I pulled myself together...for Sofia. I held it together because of my love for my sister. And here I am, helping to save the future for her. And her only. I feel like none of this would have happened if you just would have taken my bloody hand!"

Tears were streaming freely down my face. I looked at Erik with blurry vision.

"I loved you Erik, Sofia thought of you as her father. I thought you cared about us? I thought we were you're family?"

I got up and so did Erik. When he tried to pull me into his arms I moved away.

"When this is over I never want to see you again." I say.

I walk over back to my seat and sit, whipping the remaining tears on my cheeks away.