Chapter 1

You and Rafe never meant to hook up in the first place. You two were supposed to hate each other, being from opposites sides of the island and raised different ways but alcohol will make you not care who you're with if you've had enough of it. It was a late night at the Boneyard. You ventured out to the beach, away from the party, when Rafe had followed you. He plopped down next to you in the sand, equally as drunk as you. A few glances at each other and you two were tongue tied, laying in the sand. You two found a quiet and secret spot on the beach and hooked up, then passed out in each other's arms. You woke up the next morning still wrapped in his arms. You had quickly moved away from him and pulled on your clothes, cursing yourself for letting yourself fall into bed or in this case, the sand, with a kook, the biggest kook asshole of all. He found himself thinking the same thing about you. So, you two decided to never speak of it again. It was all just a drunken mistake.

❦ ❦

However, a week later at the next party, you two found yourselves in the same place. Then the next week, and the week after that. Eventually you began sneaking around, you at his house when his family was gone or vice versa. It was just sex at first, but then something out of the blue happened.

"Do you want to go out to dinner tomorrow? You know... like a date?" Rafe had asked one evening. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously as he stared at you.

You were taken back, but you surprised yourself by agreeing, "Sure."

The next day the two of you took the ferry off the island, away from anyone who could see the two of you together, into Greenville, NC, a short two hour drive and spent the day walking around shops, getting ice cream and later dinner. It was a nice day to the two of you. There was no kook or pogue talk. It was just you and Rafe.

After that, the two of you made it a weekly occurrence. Every Saturday was spent in Greenville, sometimes you ventured to other cities around there. Both of you lied to your family or friends if asked about Saturday's. Rafe would tell Kelce and Topper that his dad had business on the mainland he had to attend to. You would tell the pogues, you were working or spending time with family. They never second guessed you.

❦ ❦

Everything was great until you and Rafe were strolling down the main street in Greenville, passing a small boutique that baby clothes in a window caught your eye. You opened your phone and checked the date. You had been so busy with Rafe you hadn't even noticed; you were 3 weeks late.

"Hey, you okay?" Rafe had asked, giving a small squeeze to your hand.

You nodded, "Yeah, I'm great." You faked a smile and put your phone back in your pocket. The next day you went to the store and bought a pregnancy test. 3 minutes later your life changed.

❦ ❦

You waited a few days before you headed to Rafe's. You knew you shouldn't have stopped by but you couldn't wait until Saturday, you needed to talk about it now. That was your first mistake.

When you arrived, it was too late. Rafe and other kooks, including Topper, Kelce and some other kook girls were hanging outside, sitting around a bonfire. They had already seen you.

"Rafe, what the hell is a pogue doing here?" Topper asked.

Rafe had looked up and saw you walking this way. His heart skipped a beat when he saw you, but he kept his face serious, "I'm not sure. Maybe I left something at the restaurant?" He asks, standing. The girl that was all over him, falling back on the couch.

Your heart dropped when you saw them, but there was no turning back now. Your heart broke when you saw Rafe and some girl cuddled on the couch.

"Pogue, what the hell are you doing here?" Topper shouted as you walked closer.