Chapter 1. The Beginning

Pitch had considered himself a loner. He wasn't the only one who had thought that either. All through-out his childhood people had told him 'he would achieve greatness without any help'. So, no help was ever offered to him. Nobody ever reached out to lend a hand, or to even ask if he was okay. He was entirely, and completely alone.

However he didn't bother to linger on the thought long. He decided it was in his best interest to be by himself. But, deep down, in the darkest part of his heart... he longed for another.

Jack Frost was the complete opposite of Pitch Black. He was a wild soul. One who drifted like the wind from one place to the other, quite literally. He was "The Guardian of Fun", someone who had no time for rules or restrictions. Yes, most of the time he tried to keep the children safe but sometimes he tempted them to do incredibly stupid theatrics. He was a jokester, a friendly face to be around.

So, not even in a million years would Pitch have thought the two of them would be willingly working together, especially romantically.

It all started in the beginning of Spring....

—————————————————————————————

Pitch was headed back to his cave after a long night of feasting when he heard a disgustingly familiar laugh. Out of pure curiosity he decided to check it out. Not to anybody's surprise it was indeed the winter spirit. He was throwing snow at a group of ankle biters while simultaneously pretending to be one of North's Yetis'. It was amusing how someone could be so carefree. He couldn't help but stare at the boy's incredibly pale skin. Pitch knew from previous battles with the Winter Spirit, he was cold to the touch, maybe it was a defense mechanism but it wasn't something the Nightmare King was particularly fond of.

As the children were going inside ready to indulge in some hot chocolate, Jack called out to Pitch. "Still hiding in the shadows I see" the winter spirit was turned away, hanging onto his staff in a relaxed motion.

"Still acting like a child with no brain, I see," Pitch replied smugly.

"Maybe so," Jack turned around "but at least I'm not just an urban legend anymore.." Jack grinned mischievously. Pitch wanted to smack that grin off his face, but he had more composure than that. Pitch wasn't going to continue in a back and forth pointless conversation, so he decided to test the little winter spirit's wits.

In his heavy, well known accent he replied "The Guardians are still letting you into their club meetings? I would have thought they'd kick you out already" Pitch walked closer to the smaller man "y'know, considering they really didn't need you for anything except your powers" Pitch smirked, but the younger one just stared at him. "Sad you didn't get an invite?" Pitch perked up at his reply.

"You are quite an interesting spirit, though I wonder why, you of all people would want to be a part of some child's hero scam" Pitch studied Jack's face. He analyzed people, and Jack was no exception. He watched his body movements.

Jack took a moment before he responded. Looking up, he said "If I had known you were so obsessed with me I would have brought some paper to autograph for you". Jack began to walk past Pitch when he stopped and spoke "I don't really have much of an opinion about you, but if you keep up your lurking from the shadows people are going to start thinking of you as a creep" with that Jack glided in the wind into a nearby tree, where he sat on a branch. "Next time you want to talk, don't be a stranger"

Pitch was taken aback by this offer "I'll have to keep that in mind little frostbite, I'm not in the mood to continue this conversation as I had a long night, but nonetheless I'll see you soon" with which he disappeared into the shadows.

The older man continued to think about their previous encounter while he used the little power he had to help create a night mare. Jack was an intriguing individual. He could be cocky at times, but there was more to him underneath the titles like "Guardian of Fun'' or " "Winter Spirit". And he wanted to know every little detail. This feeling was unknown to him, but for once he actually wanted to learn more about someone.

He began to think maybe all the time he had been alone was finally taking a toll on how he judged people. Did he have poor taste in other beings or did he have unique taste in other beings? He wasn't completely sure but that was also partially due from his lack of socializing.

One thing which he was positive about was he needed rest. He would figure everything else out later that night, but for now the sleep world called to him. He got into "more comfortable clothes' ', slid under the sheets and rested his head against the pillow. Pitch didn't have dreams or nightmares. Sometimes he wished he did but other times he was glad his thoughts couldn't haunt him while he was unconscious. They were too much when he was awake, so he was glad he didn't have them while he was asleep. As he drifted towards the sleep realm, he had one thought on his mind.

Who really was Jack Frost

A/N: Sorry this chapter was short, hopefully the next chapter will be a bit longer, thank you so much for reading, would love to hear your feedback!!

Word count: 939