Chapter 26

"They just offered me a great position that any Mountie could want." Gabriel told me I could tell he was still taken back a bit from it. "Where?" i asked confused.

"A town up north called Valentine, It's been growing quickly and they need another Mountie up there to help. " He told me kinda excited about it like he was seriously thinking about taking it.

"And are you thinking about taking this new posting?" I asked a little upset but I wasn't trying to show it

"I don't know, Adeline. This is a dream posting any Mountie would love to have." He said to me still thinking about this new position.

"What are you going to do? our wedding is just a few months away." I asked trying to hold back tears that where filling up my eyes.

"I'm sure our friends and family would come up there for our wedding and there as to be somewhere you can teach." Gabriel smiled as I turned to look out the window, trying to hide how upset I was. I would go anywhere with him but Brookfield is my home and I don't want to leave.

"What about our friends? And what about the children I teach? They would miss me as I them." I told him still looking out the window.

"They'd be okay, Adeline. Our friends would miss us and I'm sure we'd miss them too but we can visit and they could too." He told me I couldn't stay any longer and listen to him come up with a solution every time i asked a question. I opened the door I heard him calling me but I couldn't stay any longer.

I found myself at my spot sitting by the pond thinking, thinking about how everything could be different in a matter of days. Truth be told, I didn't want him to take I didn't want to leave Brookfield but if he took it I would follow him there. Part of me thought he was being selfish only thinking about himself and not me, not how much it would effect me.

I was Joes getting some things that I needed when I ran into Grace, Lily, and some of their kids. "Hello everyone" I said with a half smile. "Hello miss Thornton." the kids greeted me. "Are you okay?" lily asked, "Yeah you missed our ride yesterday, what's up?" Grace added.

"Sorry about our ride. Please don't tell anyone there's a chance that Gabriel might take a new posting up North, so if he took it we'd move" Tears filling my eyes once again but I tried to hide it behind a smile.

"Oh Adeline," Lillian said as she came in for a hug. "I'm so sorry." she added. "No, he can't take it. You can't leave Brookfield for many reasons one of them because your my bestfriend!" Grace asked upset at what I told her, which only made me sadder.

"Grace, I know. But if he takes it I'm going with him, he's my fiance. " I told Grace but she didn't say anymore but just gave me a hug, "Well, if he does I'll be up to visit as much as possible." I smiled at her kind words. We said our goodbyes and I went to go see Gabriel but he wasn't there but there was a note.

"Adeline,

I'm out doing my rounds but I had a feeling that you would stop by. Meet me at your spot tonight at 4, ill tell you my choice then.

I love you, Adeline.

Gab"

I read the note he had left for me and let out a sigh and walked back out the door, whatever decision it is ill still stand by his side. I walked back to my house and I went to see Sergeant and after thinking for a minute I got ready for a ride. The warm summer air hit my face as we were cantering in an open field but we didnt do it long before he was getting tried. "You are such a good horse, Sergeant. Dad was lucky to have you, I wish i could of known him." I remember the stories my mother told me, he was an amazing man who loved my mom, who loved his town, and had a heart to serve just like Gabriel. I miss my mom and my family in Hope Valley.

We walked a few more miles before turning back it was probably around 3 if i was right. Soon we walked back thorough town I saw some friends we shared some waves, I happened to look over and Gabriel was out on his porch we shared a smile before i left town. I arrived back home and put Sergeant away before getting ready to meet him at our spot. To say i was nervous is an understatement, I wasn't sure of what his choice was going to be to stay or to go? Which was it gonna be.

The sun was low in the sky as I walked slowly to meet Gabriel the cold October wind blew reaming me that winter was coming quickly. As I got closer I could see him standing by the tree which was by the small pond still in his uniform looking handsome, I stopped for a moment to take a deep breath but he noticed me. "Adeline, I love you." he said pulling me in for a hug and a kiss. "I love you too, Gabriel."

"What did you decide?"

"I have decided that I'm going to stay, Brookfieldis our home, where our friends and family are. It's a wonderful posting to be asked to take and clearly I'm doing my job right if they asked me but I couldn't take you away from here and to be honest I think I would miss the easy-going town life around here." He told me with a smile which made me smile, I was thrilled that he decided to stay here.

"Are you sure? I don't want to be the reason you turn down this new opportunity for you." I told him as my smile faded I didn't want to hold him back.

"Yes Adeline, trust me I've thought about this all day and we're staying here in Brookfield. This is our home. And besides your working hard to plan a wedding here, not in Valentine." Gabriel smiled which made me, he pulled me into a hug. "I love you, Adeline. I can't wait to marry you." He said as we hugged, "I love you too, Gabriel. Just a couple more months till we're Mr. and Mrs." I smiled as we pulled apart from our hug. A sigh of relief washed over me as we walked back to town, I didn't need to worry about anything other than planning my wedding.