18.Inej

The streets bowed to the darkness, letting it become its master, letting it form magic and elaborate illusions to trick even the brightest of minds. But for Inej, the darkness was not an enemy. It was merely a small obstacle, something she could use to her advantage when the time came. Now, she couldn't decide whether this was one of those times.

Jesper may usually saunter about with a graceful, yet drunken air, but he was quick when he wanted to be, and right now Inej didn't doubt he could run all the way to Ravka if Van Eck was on a business meeting there.

Her options were these; she could catch up with Jesper, if she managed it, and try and persuade him otherwise, or she could find a shortcut and warn Van Eck. Neither seemed appealing. Convincing Jesper not to commit homicide would be difficult, especially since she felt like resorting to it herself, and sticking a knife deep in Van Eck's abdomen seemed so tempting...

Focus, Wraith. It would be bad enough to lose one investment, but two in the same night? That really is cruel!

Inej sighed, silencing the annoying voice inside of her that sounded very much like Kaz. A little too much, in fact.

The second option was to warn Van Eck, but how was she supposed to do that? They would never let her just waltz in uninvited at the front door. Maybe she could sneak in an open window?

Ah yes, that sounds much better; "Hello, sorry for the inconvenience, and for breaking your window, but you're about to be viciously murdered. Do you have any refreshments?"

Yes. That didn't seem too smart.

Wait! There it was! Breathing... heavy, up ahead. Inej darted forward, slipping into a little alleyway that would cut off from the main road and get there quicker. Now she could see a dark shape moving in the shadows; Jesper.

"Jesper!" She cried, wincing as her voice resounded across the street. Jesper promptly ignored her.

Great, she thought. Now things would get difficult. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Cautiously Inej cut across the road, leaping onto a first-floor balcony railing of a hotel, narrowly avoiding being hit in the face by a potted plant. That wasn't good; only the richer side of Ketterdam could afford or care about such greenery. They were getting closer.

Now she could see Jesper clearly; his clothes were all ruffled, his hair a tangle as he ran, yet he barely seemed out of breath. What was driving him now, she wondered? It was the blessing of life that drove her on, it was the greed and never-ending hunger of Kerch that drew Kaz on, but what about Jesper? What did he live for other than cheap booze and gambling? And what drove him to kill himself now?

What do you think drives Nina and Matthias, Wraith? I thought you were smart enough to figure it out; we don't all need to ride just one path before we reach the end.

The faster she ran, the more the edge of the buildings came into view. The road would soon cut off into a side street, and she couldn't make that jump. Jesper seemed to be considering his options too, as he slowed down. That was when they both saw it; the mansion.

Beyond the cut-off lay a colossal house at the end of the street, marked by its own huddle of trees and bushes, with two lamp posts on either side. The house itself might as well have been a palace, as it held itself tall and proud with its smooth, pale terraces and darkened windows with overhanging balconies. This was the one she remembered from her missions and spying. This was where Wylan had grown up. Her gaze hardened. This was the bloody torture house Van Eck had turned it into. This was a mask.

But even though it pained Inej to go against everything she believed in, and she did thoroughly believe Van Eck should be killed, it shouldn't be Jesper. Her, nor Kaz, would not let another monster emerge from their closest friend. And she would not watch Wylan's heartbreak either.