Third Year - Chapter 8

The Quidditch Cup was not a joyous affair for you but in fact a rather tortuous one. Since February, all of Hogwarts had been on edge when your father broke into the Gryffindor common room. Ron insisted that he was trying to kill him— standing over him with a knife. You didn't believe it but it wasn't the best look for your father. At the same time, if he was in a room with Ron then he was in a room with Harry. And clearly, Harry was still very much alive. The Quidditch Cup was supposed to be a time for everyone to try and forget the madness, the excitement of the final match of a season. You supposed it would have been exciting if it wasn't for the fact that the two houses that made it to the finals were Gryffindor and Slytherin.

No matter who won, you would have people you cared for that would be deeply disappointed. Draco frowned when he saw you in a red sweater— you borrowed Ron's— but was pleased to see you in the jewelry set he and his mother got you as your Slytherin representation. You chose to sit next to Cedric, in a throng of other Hufflepuffs in order to seem less biased. It was working until Neville found you in the second half and quickly, Ron, Hermione, Dean, Ginny, and Seamus followed. It became a Gryffindor meeting once again. You gave up and cheered for Gryffindor. Although, you still applauded now and then whenever Slytherin managed to get the Quaffle into a goalpost. The game was only made more stressful by the fact that both teams seemed not to care about the fouls they were accumulating as long as they were beating the others. It was becoming more dangerous by the minute.

You were torn as Harry suddenly caught the snitch. This was the first time that Gryffindor had won the Quidditch Cup since Ron's oldest brother went to Hogwarts. You wanted to celebrate with them. But your cousin also just lost arguably the most important game of his life. You decided to give Harry a thumbs up— that he returned— and ran to your cousin. You linked your arm in the crook of your cousin's elbow.

"Come on, let's sneak out to Hogsmeade while the teachers will be too distracted to notice I'm leaving."

You still hadn't got your permission slip signed. With your father somewhat around, you didn't want it signed unless it was from him. You'd even settle for Professor Lupin as your godfather before Mr. Stapius. But really, you just wanted your dad to sign something. Draco gave you a smile and the two of you practically ran from the quidditch field.

"How are you paying for this?" Draco asked when you pulled out your purse before he could hand the waitress his money.

She took it and set down your food in front of you.

"Dad," you said, simply.

"Uncle Sirius is rich?"

"Uncle?"

Draco shrugged. "He's your father isn't he, that's what you said. I should try to treat him like family... why are you looking at me like that?"

"Because, Draco, somewhere deep down in there you do actually have a heart."

He rolled his eyes. Lunch with you made him forget entirely about losing the Quidditch Cup. Because you paid for lunch, Draco insisted on paying for the sweets at Honeydukes. Like the two of you always seemed to do with sweets, you split a cauldron cake. You ate and laughed as you walked back into campus. Draco suddenly stopped and you turned from him to see Professor Lupin in front of you.

"Others would consider this aiding and abetting, Mr. Malfoy."

Your cousin scrambled away from you. You held up the rest of your cauldron cake which only earned you a look from Lupin.

"Leaving campus when you don't have a permission slip signed is punishable. I should give you detention and take points from your house."