VI

It took longer than Antheia would have liked before she was able to catch up to where Hanji was after following the constant excited yelling from her and the booming footsteps from the Titan, though in reality it had taken her just less than a minute. When they were close enough Levi had set off a red flare to signal their position but also to distract the Titan and direct its attention onto them instead.

"This way, moron."

"Hey, stay out of my way!" Hanji complained to the Special Operations Squad that were trying to keep her from getting eaten. The Titan looked as if it had contemplated following after the others but it ultimately decided to continue on it's chase of Hanji. "That's the way! Keep it up!"

The Titan, six metres tall, suddenly stopped the chase and stood completely still. Hanji let out a sound of confusion and pulled at her horse's reins, turning to face the abnormal that was acting particularly unusual. It appeared to look around in confusion before turning away from the people nearby and taking off in a sprint towards the trees. Antheia couldn't help the breath of relief that left her, though she was curious about its actions she was just thankful that Hanji was out of harm's way.

"Hey, wait up!" Hanji called out after it, immediately following it.

"Hanji, don't be an idiot!" Antheia yelled after her, any relief that she had felt moments ago washing away entirely as she and the rest of the squad continued on their pursuit of Hanji.

"What's that shit-face up to? Is it running back home?" Oruo asked when they reached the forest, any other words that he wanted to say being cut off when his teeth clamped down on his tongue.

"Even if it is an abnormal, there's something strange about this," Petra added.

"Yeah, it's movement patterns are like nothing that had ever been reported," Eld chimed in.

"No, they're called abnormals because they don't behave normally, right?" Gunther said.

"I couldn't care less," Levi interrupted the conversation and pulled out his blades. "We're taking it down here."

"So it's an abnormal abnormal—it won't matter when it's dead," Antheia piped up, unsheathing her own blades with the rest of their squad following suit. "Though I have to admit, I am a little interested."

They continued with haste to where Hanji had disappeared into the trees after the running Titan. For a fleeting moment Antheia had feared that they'd lost them but her worries were put aside when she spotted the Titan standing in a clearing within the trees, Hanji in front of it and attempting to speak to it—she was standing far too close for comfort. Without an order to do so, Oruo shot up from his horse and swung his way through the trees, attaching the hook of his wire to the nape of the Titan and preparing to slice it.

"I've got this!"

"Oruo, don't do it!" Hanji yelled at him in desperation.

Her loud voice had caused Oruo to hesitate, nothing but confusion etching itself onto his face at his superior's command. The second of hesitation that he provided allowed the Titan to respond to the sudden attack, reaching out it's monstrous hand and grasping Oruo in its palm. Oruo began to kick and scream with fear eating him alive before the Titan could, the jaws of the monster opening and preparing to take a bite into him.

Thankfully, the others had witnessed the entire thing and were quick to intervene. Antheia had taken off as soon as she had seen Oruo being grabbed, darting through the trees with her blades drawn and slicing through the arm that held him, her main goal to save his life before disposing of the Titan. Levi was quick to follow her, aiming for the nape of the Titan and effortlessly cutting through it while Antheia pried open the fingers of the hand and looked down at Oruo who lay in the severed palm in shock, being sure to send Hanji a quick glare that showed her disapproval.