Nights Like This

The night was quiet and peaceful. You had just changed into your pajamas and were ambling toward the bed. You fell into bed after you flipped your lamp switch off. You were hoping to get a good night's sleep, so that tomorrow you can actually write more to your novel you were working on. As soon as your eyes fluttered shut, you felt a chilly breeze swept through your room. You thought you closed the window. Pushing yourself up and turning toward the window, you gasped.

"Don't scare me like that!" You exclaimed as you flicked on your lamp.

The man by the window shrugged slightly and stalked toward you. You walked up to meet him and grimaced as you noticed his injuries. Slowly raising your hands, you gently took the mask off his face. He looked tense and tired, but he gently grasped your hips as you looked over his bloodied face.

"I don't know what I'm going to do with you, Winter. We have to stop meeting like this." You said dropping his mask onto the dresser. "But let's get you cleaned up."

This had been happening for quite a while now. He would show up bloodied and bruised at some random part of the day, mainly night, and you would fix him up and give him some food and what not. The first time had been accidental. He went to the wrong apartment when he was sent for a mission, and you complained about your broken window to him for a solid ten minutes. You didn't even look scared, you were just worried about what your 'landlord' would say. He fixed it quickly, but after, you gave him some food and cleaned up a few of his cuts. Since then, he always found himself coming to you after missions, and you bonded quickly.

"You do know I have a door, right?" You asked as he followed you into the bathroom.

"It's safer for you if I use the window. Hydra could find you, and I wouldn't want that." He mumbled as he kissed your forehead.

You sighed as you got out the first aid kit. "Fine, whatever."

You cleaned his wounds and bandaged him in silence. Once you were done, you gestured to his bloodied uniform and hair. He shrugged and moved toward you, peppering your face in light kisses, a low hum escaping his throat.

"Winter...come on. You know the drill."

He pecked your lips before giving you a sad look. "I miss you when I'm gone."

You started fiddling with the buttons on his uniform. "I miss you too, but I'll be here when you get out of the shower, promise."

He sighed in defeat before nodding. He pulled out some clothes from a bathroom cupboard, which had been deemed his cupboard after the third visit.

"I'll have some food for you when you get out, okay?" You said kissing his jaw.

He nodded, and you exited the bathroom. You pulled some corndogs out of the freezer and started heating them up. He had mentioned he wanted to eat them last time, and you got some for next time. He entered the kitchen right as the corndogs finished, a fresh t shirt and sweats adoring his body. He enveloped you in a hug once he got to you. You stood there for a while, basking in each other's warmth, and you parted when his stomach growled.

You laughed and poked his belly as a light shade of pink crept up his cheeks. "Seems like someone's hungry."

He muttered something under his breath before grabbing a plate. You watched as he took a bite out of one of them. He raised an eyebrow when he caught you staring. You smiled at him and slid the ketchup and mustard over to him. He grabbed them easily and squirted some on his plate.

"So...do you like corndogs?" You asked as he scarfed down two of them quickly.

A shy smile graced his features. "Yeah...I mean, anything is better than that Hydra slush they feed me through a straw, but, yeah, I like corndogs."

You pushed the tray toward him, and he shyly grabbed a few more. You made small talk as he ate. He seemed a lot more relaxed, and he managed to smile a bit. He helped wash the few dishes and you both made your way back to your room. You both went under the covers, and he pulled you flush against him. He pressed a few more kisses to your head and your hands found their way into his hair. You gently massaged his scalp and a soft groan fell from his lips. Your fingers ran through his hair, his eyes fluttering shut, and he tried to pull you closer.

"I don't want to leave you in the morning." Winter softly whined. "Wish I could stay with you forever."

"Why do you go back to them?" You asked quietly as you twirled his hair around your fingers.

"I..." He swallowed slowly. "I don't know. They'll find me if I escape. I tried once and they...they...it hurt so bad...I couldn't move for two days."

You don't know what Hydra did to him, but he was so broken and scared. You wanted to protect him with everything you had, but you knew you stood no chance against Hydra. You pressed a kiss to his lips, and he kissed back eagerly, and a low growl slipped out of his throat as you gently tugged on his hair. You let him take control as he deepened the kiss. When the kiss finally ended, he tucked you under his chin and sighed.

"Just sleep, baby." You cooed as you continued to play with his hair. "I'll be right here."

"Promise?" He whispered into the dark room.

"Promise." You verified as you pressed a kiss to his neck. "Now just sleep."