Chapter 1 - Making a bet

The bell rang at Santa Barbara High School. Everyone in the class stood up from their chairs and headed outside seeing the end of the school day. But before anyone of them could reach the door, their teacher Smith whistled.

"Please, I know you are impatient because the school ended and you can finally go home, but I'd like to ask you about your attention for some moment yet. I have an important announcement for you," she said aloud so that everyone could hear her.

Alvin, a chipmunk in a red hoodie with a large yellow 'A' embroidered on it's front side and a red cap on his head grinned at the teacher's words.

"Oh oh oh, are you going on a vacation? Are you retiring? Will we have a special free day? "He asked with with an obvious sarcasm in his voice.

Typical Alvin. There was not a day that he didn't try to get on Miss Smith's nerves and then ended in a detention.

"No, no and NO," the last one no she literally shouted as everyone in the room jumped from their places where they were standing. "I'm not done yet, would you let me finish?"

Alvin nodded and winked at her. „Of course Miss Smith."

She sighed and continued: "As you may have noticed on the wall before the school entrance, there will be a doubles tennis tournament at our school on Friday, which is three days from today. Only our school is going to participate, so you don't have to worry that students from other schools will play there. Those who want to participate must report their participation to the director at least by Thursday, with also the name of the teammate with whom you will compete. I hope ... no ... I'm sure that at least one pair from this class will also compete. It doesn't matter if a team consists of two boys, two girls or one boy and one girl. Anyone can participate."

There was a whisper in the classroom during her speaking. Everyone was excited about this report. Such an event did not often take a place at their school.

"If you've held out with me until now, that's all I wanted to tell you. If anyone has some questions, I'm here for you to answer them. And the rest of you who don't have any questions, go ahead. Don't let me see you here today anymore. I mainly address this to you Alvin," she added at the end of her sentence. As usual.

Alvin seemed he hadn't noticed, because he has been already thinking about Friday's tournament.

Alvin, Simon, Theodore and their three best friends, Brittany, Jeanette and Eleanor, left the class and headed outside from the school. Throughout their way, they talked, but mostly about the upcoming Friday tournament. Alvin and Eleanor were both much enthusiastic about it. "Wow, that will be something! On Friday, everyone will see that Alvin Seville will sweep everyone off the court and win the school cup. And I hope you go too Ellie," Alvin said slipping over to Eleanor and patting her on the back.

Alvin's pat on the back was probably a little stronger than he had planned, because after the second slap, Eleanor held his hand. "Look, I'm looking forward to it too, but at least I'm not slapping everyone around me on my back," she said.

"Yeah Alvin, calm down a little, okay?" Brittany added.

She didn't even look at him, instead of that she was focused on her reflection in the mirror and rouging herself. Alvin rolled his eyes at her behaviour. He snorted and refocused his thoghts on his conversation with Eleanor: "Well Eleanor? You still haven't answered my question."

"Which one?" Eleanor asked.

"I asked you if you are going to compete in the tournament too," Alvin snapped, obviously a little annoyed by Eleonor's lack of interest.