Chapter 6

Alesha kicks the zombie's head, releasing Matt from it's death grip. She stomps on the head until the zombie's body lies still, and it's blood pools out onto the ground. She stands there breathless. Freddie looks from the zombie to me.
"We need to find somewhere safe."
He starts walking down the highway.

Eventually we reach a town, there are shops everywhere. Freddie looks around at them all. He goes down an alleyway between two buildings, we all follow him silently, there's a half hidden shop down there to the right. Freddie walks in, I gasp when I see what kind of shop it is. He grabs as many guns as he can hold and gestures to the others to do the same, he shows the guy something in his hand. The guy nods and Freddie pays for the guns. I gulp as I see them. He hands one to me. 
"These will keep us safe. Just try to keep them hidden."
Freddie asks the shop keeper if he has any duffel bags. We leave the place, each with a black duffel bag stuffed with guns and ammo.
The town is almost deserted. Everyone has fled after hearing about what happened at the airport. But after a couple weeks, it probably wouldn't matter. We walk down the empty street, but there's nowhere that looks particularly safe for us to hide in.
"Freddie how did you know about that place? What did you show that guy?"
Freddie gives me a steely look but doesn't say anything. I press my lips together and shift the duffel bad strap higher up on my shoulder. We keep walking until we are out of town and are walking down a fairly secluded road, no cars drive by, we draw guns out of our heavy bags. Slowly we make our way down the road, holding our guns. The road is surrounded by trees, forests on both sides, making it a damn good place to ambush someone. A crow takes off inside the forest causing us to jump and look around, paranoid. We continue to walk until we come across a drive. Freddie looks at us then gestures for us to follow him down the drive to a large farmhouse, it has a fence around it and fields and allotments. It looks abandoned. Freddie grins at me. I guess we found our place.

2 weeks later

"Have you finished?"
Matt looks proudly at his work. He, Geordie and Alesha have built a large wall around the farmhouse with barbed wire all over it. I nod approvingly and walk back into the house. All of the guns are laid out on the table. We collected quite a few more during these past two weeks.
Geordie walks into the room scratching her neck.
"I'm just going to get all the crops from the allotments. Any takers?"
"I'll help," replies Alesha.
They head outside together. I lean on the back wall, things are going well. But unfortunately the Internet is down, and the tv networks. Zombies have officially taken over. We don't know how many other survivors there are, if there are any at all, Jesus are we last ones on-
"HELP US!"
"PLEASE?!"
I hear banging on the door and I rush over to investigate.
"FREDDIE?" I yell at him to come downstairs before yanking the door open. I see three people standing there. A woman and two guys.
"Please." she whispers, "help us." Before she collapses to the ground.

"The city is burned to the ground." Carol sips her tea gingerly, a solemn expression on her tired face.
"There are soldiers running around killing anyone they see, alive or dead, setting off bombs, raids, massacring."
I gasp, horrified.
"We managed to escape but it wasn't easy, tanks and helicopters everywhere, burning corpses and people. Those things eating everyone."
She seems a bit traumatised, as do her companions, Zach and Lucas.
"Please let us stay with you, we have nowhere to go." says Lucas sadly from the other side of the table. I slowly nod and smile at them.
"You're welcome to stay, I just need to tell Freddie, we've never taken on any new people before."
They nod thankfully.
"Freddie!"
He still hasn't come down. I find Freddie upstairs in our room. He's going through our things.
"Freddie?"
He turns round and smiles at me, a weird smile. He looks sad.
"We don't have any pictures of you."
"What?"
"There are no pictures of you."
"Why do you need pictures of me?"
He looks down to the ground and sits on the bed.
"We're going to die Evelyn."
"Freddie don't say that-"
"No." He says sternly, "everyone dies. Whether it's you or me first I want something to remember you. To keep me strong enough to carry on. If you die, and so help me god I will do everything to stop it happening, I won't give up and be a pathetic lump. I'll keep fighting to try and keep humans alive. But I need you with me. Evelyn, the thought of you dying is hard enough, but the thought of not seeing your face, not being able to remember your face, I can't take it."
"I'll always be with you." I whisper
"But if I die first."
I swallow nervously. I don't want to think about it.
"You have to keep going." He grabs my hand and holds it tight.
"Kill those stupid zombies. Fight for humanity. I'll be with you every step you take."
I bend down and hug him tight. He pulls me onto his lap.
"I'll always be with you." he whispers into my hair.