Chapter Eleven

It has been several months since I've been here. Alpha Nathan still doesn't trust me, but that was to be expected. Though he now allows me to walk around alone. I still have have Liam who's keeping an eye on me, but the security around me isn't as tight anymore. I'm slowly getting there, slowly gaining their trust. It just takes time.

Josephine and I have become great friends, too. She's an amazing and bubbly girl. Outgoing and friendly. We're very different but at the same time we're also so much alike. She's my first friend in Silver Moon. Isabelle and Michael are nice to me, too. But they're still older than me and the age difference is noticeable.

A loud howl has me startled, it's around three in the morning and for whatever reason Lainie has been on edge all night, making it impossible for me to fall asleep. A second howl pierces through the silence of the night and this time I know. I know who it is and I know he's calling for me. He's getting impatient.

Swiftly I slide out of my bed and tip-toe to the corridor. Luckily for me, Liam seems to be still fast asleep. Or at least he's nowhere to be seen. Alpha may trust me enough to let me walk around alone during the day, me sneaking around at night surely raises suspicion. When I'm sure he isn't going to come out of his room, I dash out of the door.

The night air is chilly and I have to wrap my arms around my body to keep me from getting cold. Patrols are running around the borders every ten minutes. That means that whatever this person has to discuss with me, it has to be said within those minutes, or I'll be found out. Not something I'd like to happen, because who knows what alpha Nathan will do once he finds out. Yet I can't wait for the day when he realizes that trusting me and keeping me alive was the biggest mistake of his life.

Just after the wolfs who are patrolling have run passed me, I jump out of the tree I was hiding in and sure enough there he is. He's coming out of the shadows and I am once again eye to eye with my former alpha. James. He's as big as ever and the scowl on his face never seizes to amaze me. Why is he always so angry?

I know he expects me to bow down to him, but I'm no longer part of his pack and I refuse to let him have that much power over me. So I try to stand as confident as possible, trying not to show my discomfort and hiding my shaking hands behind my back.

"Jennifer," he spats at me. My expression remains blank and I just nod at him. "It's been almost three months, what's taking you so long?" He snaps at me. I blink a couple of times and regard him. His eyes staring at me menacingly and his mouth has turned into a scowl. Could he make his displeasure any more obvious?

"It's not that easy!" I defend myself, surprised by my undisguised anger. When I was still a part of his pack, I would've never dared to show my anger or true emotions. He would have me cower away. Yes, I could stand up to him and I know that even now I might have a real chance when it comes to a fight. But somehow, I just can't seem to muster up the courage to actually fight him. I'm afraid I'll always be intimidated by him, even if it's just a little. He's got even me totally brainwashed, into thinking he's invincible. "I've got to earn their trust first, otherwise I don't stand a chance!"

"I don't care what you've got to do, I want him dead. You'll only get another two months." He states, his arms are crossed over his chest that is puffed out. "If you don't succeed, you'll come back to Dark Night and consent into being my Luna." He leaves no room for me to argue.

"Then I need you to help me, because two months isn't a lot of time." I raise my eyebrows at him, daring him to say no to my request.

"What do you need?" He gives in reluctantly. He probably realizes that it indeed is impossible for me to take out alpha Nathan within two months without any help. It's about time he understood. I smirk and tell him what it is I need from him. I keep it short though, because the ten minutes are almost up and I know the wolves on patrol can come by any minute now.