Untitled Part 1

Kai is your average 17 year old, he has never been any good at sports, his grades were average at best and is only so-so at his favourite hobby; playing video games.

While Kai may not be academically successful or physically impressive, socially, he was a genius. He was always noticing slight changes in social situations and able to read people's subtle movements, he was always able to navigate his peers and superiors with ease. Making friends, forming bonds and earning respect, this is what Kai excels in. He was able to use this gift to avoid confrontational situations and had even propelled his own status within his school, becoming the youngest School Captain ever. Normally only final year students can attain this but Kai is no normal student he is blessed with exceptional charisma and a somewhat keen mind for politics. His teachers all believed that his career path would put him on track to be the Prime Minister, the highest governing body in his Country, Australia.

That was until one afternoon while Kai was supervising the Bus zone, this is where the students would queue up and wait for the school bus to take them home. There was nothing off about this day in particular, Kai was managing the lines of buses waiting to open their doors when he noticed one of the younger children had wandered off. He was able to see her approaching one of the crossings just outside of the school boundaries, Kai walked at a hurried pace to catch up to her to find out why she was walking away instead of waiting for the bus, it was a small school so it was easy to identify the young girl, she was Kayla, a grade 7 girl that had recently moved to town.

Kai was about 50 meters away from Kayla when he noticed a car that did not seem to be slowing down, full of fright, Kai moved to a sprint, he knew that he had to reach her in time, 40 meters, Kayla had still not seemed to notice this car, 30 meters, "Kayla, watch out! MOVE!" Kai screamed, 10 meters, Yes, he was going to make it, he was going to reach her in time.

Kai reached out his arms towards her and pushed her as hard as he could, he saw her go flying but knew she would be safe. The relief overtook Kai, he had never been more worried in his short life, that was until he noticed that he was still in the car's path, he had not managed to get out of the way at the same time and.....

It was dark at first, Kai was certain that he had saved the young girl but couldn't remember anything after pushing her out of the way. He started to walk around, hopping to find some explanation of where he was, he wandered for what felt like hours until suddenly he could see fine, he was standing in the middle of an empty field but he wasn't alone, there was a lady standing just a few feet away from him, confused yet curious, Kai walked towards this mystery Woman.

"Hello, do you know where we are?" asked Kai in a confident manner. To his surprise, when she turned around, she looked identical to the young girl he had just saved, well he thought he saved.

"Welcome, Kai, I have been waiting for you" said the Woman with Kayla's face and voice. She smiled gently and gestured to two chairs that Kai was certain were not there a moment ago.

"What is happening? Where am I? Who are you?" Kai asked, he couldn't help himself, he had so many questions and needed answers right away, normally he is much more composed and articulate but after this afternoon's events, he just wanted answers.

"Please, have a seat, I will answer all of your questions to the best of my abilities" the mystery woman said, again gesturing to the empty seat to Kai's left.

Kai very cautiously took a seat, trying to imagine the responses he would receive, nothing he thought of made any sense though.

"Ok, before I answer your questions, what do you remember about this afternoon?" asked the lady.

Kai went to speak but still could not remember everything, he paused for a moment with a clear look of confusion on his face. "Don't strain yourself, not many people that have been through what you have been through could completely recollect, just recall what you can" she said in her kindest voice.