20 | Fear

For the first time, we glimpse the sun.

It peeks out shyly from the thick clouds in the sky as the last of the storm drifts away. In the past, Gramps had a saying that he loved to repeat to us—always be optimistic about life. Faced with setbacks, we should keep our head pointed towards the sun, for it will light the path for us.

I used to think that he was simply overplaying his words. Now, I'm experiencing the exact meaning of his words.

Lush trees frame along both sides of the road as the car drives through, like the gateway to the netherworld. It feels like one of those video games that you play where the undead come out from the shadows and hunt you down for a quick, nice snack.

I shudder at the chilling image in my mind. The deeper we go, the more abandoned cabins and RV camper vans we see litter along the side of the road. This is a camping site that Mom brought me to when I was a kid and the sight gives me a feeling of nostalgia. I don't recall all the details, but there are snippets of memories that I remember. A bonfire. Roasting S'mores. Joining a game of Flashlight Tag with other kids of my age.

My eyes keep glancing out of the window repeatedly. I'm kind of expecting creatures to intercept us on our way towards Milliken Pond, but it seems like they've gone into hiding, fearing the approaching light.

Sadly, they won't be gone forever.

I glance down at Zarius worriedly. From what I've seen so far, he doesn't seem susceptible to artificial light as compared to the other mutated creatures, but I don't know for sure if he would have any reaction to sunlight. Can he withstand it?

The road eventually ends, but opens up to a spectacular view of Milliken Pond. The storm has washed away the brutal details of the invasion—blood stains and all—and now the place looks undisturbed, as if the apocalypse never happened.

Before this, Milliken Pond was a hot fishing spot that's five acres wide. The water is at least ten feet deep and should be good enough for Zarius to swim around and recuperate. This pond is pretty isolated and might not be as polluted as the rest of the other areas, but suddenly, another worrying thought springs to my mind.

What if there are creatures hiding in there?

But what other choices do I have? This is the only plan that I can think of. Where else can merfolk truly rest if not in one of their habitats?

An unconscious Zarius squirms uncomfortably in the backseat, burrowing his sickly pale face into my lap. His thick arms somehow snake around my knees and grasp at them. Looking at his wound tells me that the bleeding has slightly slowed, but there's just no sign of him looking any better.

My fingers slowly reach out, almost touching his cheek, but I pull back when the car comes to a stop.

Jace clears his throat and announces in a professional tone. "We've arrived, ma'am. Fifty bucks please."

I let out an amused snort. He's the only person whom I know can joke like this in an apocalypse situation. "You would be a con artist if you're charging that high for a quick ride."

"What can I say? Someone highly demanded my service. Where else can you find another driver like me in this godforsaken town?"

"You're an idiot."

We let out a quick burst of laughter before Jace turns and his curious gaze lands on Zarius's sleeping form. "Is our alien buddy getting better?"

"Nope," I sigh, "but he will be."

Jace frowns. "I'll wait for you after you dump him in the water."

The way he says sounds as if we are releasing dolphins in captivity back into the ocean, but that is not how I view Zarius. He may not be human, but he embodies a soul full of emotions and thoughts, just like the rest of us. If we think about it again, we're not much different after all.