14. the morning after

"Romeo, save me, they're tryna tell me how to feel

This love is difficult, but it's real

Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess

It's a love story, baby, just say, "Yes""

--
C H A P T E R F O U R T E E N
the morning after
--

Neither slept that night. They barley even spoke.

Goldie just changed into one of Buckys hoodies, and they sat for hours on the couch, staring out of the window, his arm wrapped protectively around her shoulders.

For the first while she was still trembling, her shaking fingers making it difficult for her to change out of her clothes and into Buckys, which she felt more comfortable in, more safe in.

When the sun finally began to rise, indicating the start of the next day, Goldies eyes dropped, while her head lay against Buckys chest. He still wore the white button up and black dress pants he had wore to his lawyers office, not even bothering to change when they got home, just wanting to begin to care for Goldie as soon as he could.

"Avery was my moms maiden name." Goldie said quietly, after a long period of complete silence, the only sounds able to be heard were the ones coming from the birds, waking up in the early hours of the morning. "I didn't want to be associated as Henry Williams, the town drunks daughter, so whenever anyone asked, I told them my last name was Avery."

She spoke with a certain softness to her voice, but Bucky couldn't help but notice the utter sadness that came with it.

Bucky didn't really know what to reply, so instead of words, he pulled her onto his lap, her head resting on his shoulder, and he tucked a loose strand of hair which had escaped her braid behind her ear.

"I'm sorry- For everything..." She spoke again, this time Bucky could hear her voice breaking, so he just held her closer to him. He never wanted to let her go.

"You don't have to be sorry." He reassured.

He kissed the top of her head, "I'm sorry that I couldn't help you."

"I didn't want you to know..." She hung her head, both ashamed because she let it happen to herself, and ashamed Bucky had found out about it, and may now view her differently. "No one knows. You're the only one who knows about... That stuff. Wanda and Daisy know about dad, though. Just not what he does."

"I'm not going to let anything like that happen to you ever again."

She smiled at him softly, the palm of her hand caressing his cheek, her thumb stroking his soft skin, before burying her head into his chest, as he embraced her in yet another hug.

"You hungry?"

"Yeah, kinda." She shrugged.

"Want me to go pick something up?" He whispered softly.

"I'll come with you." She shifted out of his arms and perched on the edge of the couch, a yawn emitting from her mouth.

"No, no. Honey you stay here, you're exhausted. I'll go and get us some food from the diner and bring it back here." He replied, throwing a blanket over his girlfriend.

Goldie did as he said, and snuggled back into the sofa, resting her head on one of the fluffy cushions.

"Get me some pancakes." She muttered quietly, as she let her eyes fall closed.