Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

                After spending what had surprisingly turned out to be a pleasant evening with Darius and Wynter, Darius gave her the code to the unit across the hall and she retired for the night, even though it was still early. The nap had done her good, but it simply wasn’t enough. Niki had wanted to have the conversation with Darius that he promised her, but with Wynter there, she knew it wasn’t going to happen.

                The next morning, Niki was up early and not having anything else to do, headed across the hall to Darius’ apartment. She was about to knock when she heard Wynter and Darius’ voices. Instead of knocking, she stopped outside the door and listened, wanting to hear what they were saying. Perhaps it would give her some valuable information about how to convince Darius to leave with her.

                Surprisingly, she found the conversation, or argument as it seemed to be, was about her.

                Wynter did not like Niki. She felt threatened by her and obviously didn’t want to feel like she had to share Darius with another woman. At that, Niki definitely decided they were dating each other. The fact that Wynter thought of her as competition was rather amusing to Niki given her feelings towards Darius were purely platonic. 

                Darius, good friend that he was, argued that Niki and he were simply friends. When Wynter said that he should have her find a different place to stay, Darius refused. He wouldn’t let a friend go without basic needs as long as he could help it. Despite everything, Darius was still the kind-hearted person he’d always been and Niki couldn’t help but smile about that.

                When she heard Wynter say something about needing to leave, Niki decided it was time to knock on the door. It wouldn’t do for Wynter to open the door and find her standing in the hallway. It would be rather obvious what she had been doing. As nice as Darius was, Niki didn’t think he’d be too happy about that.

                Darius opened the door when she knocked, but before either of them could say anything, Wynter pushed her way out, frowning at Niki as she walked past her. Niki smiled, trying to put on an act of being friendly, but she knew that wouldn’t have any effect. The woman was obviously jealous and didn’t like the idea of her boyfriend spending time with her.

                “She doesn’t like me, does she?” Niki asked Darius once she was in the elevator.

                “I don’t know,” Darius said with a shrug. He moved away to let Niki and Garm inside. “You want some coffee?”

                “Of course I do,” Niki replied. “But don’t you think we should have that talk? I want to know what’s going through your head Darius.”

                “Yeah, I know,” he said. “But the coffee’s already made. Have a seat.”

                Niki sat down at the kitchen table while Darius poured two cups of coffee. He set her cup in front of her and sat down across from her. He sipped his coffee, but didn’t say anything for a while. Niki also stayed silent, knowing better than to try pressuring him. He’d speak when he felt ready.

                “The Anitreh killed Ian,” Darius finally said.

                Niki didn’t know how to respond to that. She wanted to deny that, because that was a ridiculous idea. Ian had been an asset to them and probably one of the most productive people they had. She couldn’t fathom any motive for the Anitreh to want to harm him, but at long last, she understood why Darius had left. And why he would be motivated to kill Anitreh.