Prologue

"𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕠𝕦𝕟𝕕𝕒𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕔𝕙 𝕕𝕚𝕧𝕚𝕕𝕖 𝕃𝕚𝕗𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝔻𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙
𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕒𝕥 𝕓𝕖𝕤𝕥 𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕕𝕠𝕨𝕪 𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕧𝕒𝕘𝕦𝕖.
𝕎𝕙𝕠 𝕤𝕙𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕤𝕒𝕪 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕠𝕟𝕖 𝕖𝕟𝕕𝕤,
𝕒𝕟𝕕 𝕨𝕙𝕖𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕠𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕓𝕖𝕘𝕚𝕟𝕤?"

- 𝔼𝕕𝕘𝕒𝕣 𝔸𝕝𝕝𝕒𝕟 ℙ𝕠𝕖

——————————————————

Spencer Reid had always been an odd, secretive man. Upon first glance, he seems unassuming, but that small, warm smile hid a quiet torment; a pain unlike any I'd ever seen before.

His secrets came to the light one at time. Slowly, cautiously, and with enough warning that he could move us out of the cross hairs. When we learned about his mother, we didn't think much of it. When we learned about his addiction, it was painful, but difficult to call it a secret.

We all thought we knew him so well. Or at least, I did. I could only speak for myself. After all, the others had tried to warn me in their own way.

I should have listened. Maybe I had been a fool not to listen when he told me not to interfere. Perhaps it was really all my fault not to believe him when he'd never given me a reason not to. Because each time that I was faced with a secret from the ever-elusive Spencer Reid, he had made sure that I was safe.

That was why this phone call had been so painful.

We had failed. He wouldn't see it that way, though. He would only blame himself. But placing blame didn't feel so important while I was staring down the barrel of a gun.

"Spencer?" I asked when the phone static crackled.

"Where are you?"

"Promise you won't be mad," I laughed.

He didn't.

"Where are you?" he repeated, instead.

I wanted to answer. I tried to talk until the line cut off or the red string of fate was severed with lead. But the second my mouth opened to tell him the truth, what I had known to be true for so long, it was not me who spoke.

It was the man on the other end of the gun, with a wicked smile and a trigger finger that did not hesitate like the other secrets had.

"Time's up, Dr. Reid."

——————————————————

"𝔻𝕠 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕜𝕟𝕠𝕨 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕒 𝕞𝕒𝕟 𝕚𝕤 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕕𝕖𝕒𝕕
𝕨𝕙𝕚𝕝𝕖 𝕙𝕚𝕤 𝕟𝕒𝕞𝕖 𝕚𝕤 𝕤𝕥𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕤𝕡𝕠𝕜𝕖𝕟?"

- 𝕋𝕖𝕣𝕣𝕪 ℙ𝕣𝕒𝕥𝕔𝕙𝕖𝕥𝕥

——————————————————

Author's Note: Hello friends both old and new! For those who may recognize it, this work was posted before, on here, Tumblr, and Ao3. I am republishing it as I edit it. The chapters will be different lengths from they are on the other platforms, so there will be "more" chapters. While there are some additions, most are grammatical and formatting edits.

I hope that you all will enjoy this work, which is based in large part on my own experiences with grief. Because of this, I will remind you all now that I HEAVILY moderate my comments. Disparaging comments about me, my work, or any other authors will be deleted. Please refrain from treating my comments like your own personal stand-up show. It's insulting to the work and detracts for other readers.

This work is NSFW, 18+ ONLY. If you comment about being a minor, you will be muted. Thank you for respecting my boundaries!

If you want to avoid spoilers, do not read further. However, please keep in mind that you may be exposed to heavy, triggering topics. I will try to place Content Warnings in the comments of each Chapter Summary, so you can choose whether you want to read each section.

Old and new readers alike, I hope you all enjoy!

General Series Content Warnings:

- Gun Violence

- Explicit Sexual Content

- Major Character Death (faked)

- Heavy portrayals of grief

- Heated arguing/yelling

- Pregnancy/Miscarriage

- There is a happy ending