Prologue

Prologue

The dusts of rebellion had not even begun to settle when the House of Pentacles convened for a meeting.

The fourteen ruling members gathered around a long glass table in the home of the Head of the House, the Ace, each member still dressed in their battle armor. The Ace of Pentacles sat at the head of the table, right thumb absently tracing over the small red diamond inked into her skin beneath her left thumb, watching as an argument unfolded before her.

“It is not my fault they escaped!” the Six of Pentacles declared, pounding his fist on the table.

The Seven of Pentacles disagreed. “The Lady Universe was within our grasp! We would have ruled uncontested with her by our side!”

This, of course, set off another round of shouting amongst the members. The Ace sighed. She had not organized a rebellion just for the sake of her House going to war with itself, verbally or otherwise. And she had had just about enough of all of the fighting.

“That is enough!” She announced, rising to her feet. The room immediately went silent. “I am tired of your bickering like children, and I shall tolerate it no longer.” She surveyed the members of her House, most having the tact not to meet her eyes. “Even with most of the Major Arcana still alive, we shall still rule without interference. Those cowards have turned away from their duties, running in the face of danger. It is our Fate as a House to take up their position.”

Her hand went absently to the large, pulsing ruby at her throat as she was met with uncomfortable silence. They had lived so long under the rule of another, mindlessly bending over backwards to the Major Arcana’s will. But no longer.

Especially when their traitorous deeds would come to light.

“And if they are all truly still alive, Lady,” the Queen of Pentacles said for the Ace’s left, “What will happen when they come to reclaim what they lost? You know they will. And they will come with the protection of the other Houses as well.”

The Ace didn’t doubt it. Her hand closed around the ruby.

“The Houses of Swords, Wands, and Cups will be of little consequence,” the Ace explained, “Especially once we eliminate them. They have always been weak compared to Pentacles. As it stands now, most of the House of Cups has been destroyed, with Swords and Wands on their way out. They do not stand much of a chance against our numbers, even if they were stupid enough to try and take back what is now ours. But in order to maintain the kind of control we will need, we must unite as a House. We will never stand if we continue to fight as we have.”

She sent a pointed glance around the table, daring anyone to speak against her.

No one did.

“And what of the Major Arcana?” The Two of Pentacles asked from the opposite end of the table. “Shall we just leave them be?”

The Ace considered this.

“I think not,” she answered, placing a finger to her lower lip. “Hunt them down, every last one, and bring them here, to me. Alive.”

“And where should we expect to find them?” The Two challenged, “Where are they hiding?”

The Ace smiled. This was a question she had an answer for.

“The Human World.”