Asera

"Sin-tot theater?"

     "Yes, a very beautiful theater. They display the amazing dances and acts there. I've gone many times." I turned from our conversation to see my house.

     "We're here."

     He stared at it in awe. I was glad he liked it.

     We settled around the table outside the kitchen. My home was simple, a little cottage with tan colored walls and light wooden floors. The table we sat at was set before two large windows, the front door settled between. And, also, there were many plants, as I liked, some bloomed pink and purple flowers that gave off a fresh scent and some were vines that creeped along the windows and wooden kitchen counters.

     "It's nice," Benjamin commented.

     "Thank you." We smiled at each other then we sat down. From his darting eyes and shifting, I felt he had more questions to ask me.

     "I'll make tea."

      A deep spiced scent settled between us, wafting up from Asera tea.

     "That smells good." 

     It was warm against my lips. It'd been long years since I'd tasted the bitter tea. It brought back fond memories. A quaint little library fit into the cliffside. I'd walked in and immediately felt at ease with the warm glow and tall shelves of books. Twists and turns had led me to a wonderful well lit corner bordered by windows that looked out over the sea. Settling among the pillows and flipping through pages for hours on end had taken me out of reality only to be brought back by Adelaine, the librarian, who tucked me into more comfortable pillows and offered a cup of Asera tea.

      My mind cleared to reveal the table and Benjamin still drinking tea. The night continued like that, the sky darkening with bright stars.

     In time, the questions came.

     "Ah, I have a question."

     I looked up from my tea, "yes?"

     "How do your powers work? If it's alright to ask.

     In truth, there were mysteries to my power that I still didn't know and I said as much, "but," I continued, "I can interact with spirits, revive their life, and help bring their souls back from-" what word sounded best?

     "Corruption." That sounded best.

     "Then," he fiddled with his tea, "the others who have powers like you. Are they your siblings?"

      I was born a short time before the beginning of this world with eleven other people. People that I had a very deep bond with. I felt towards them the pull of the moon towards the ocean, the roots to the earth, like shadows to the crevices of the earth. Without them- without them. . . without them I was a rose with no petals, simply thorns. They made me beautiful in a way I couldn't explain. But they were not siblings, no.

     "No, they're not my siblings but I care for them in my own way."

     He gazed at me for a moment, then spoke, "kind of like family?"

     I shook my head, "not like family." He looked thoroughly confused and I laughed.

     "I'm not sure I can explain it. They complete me in a way."

     "Ahh. . ." His brows were scrunched up, still in confusion but trying to understand.

     "It's hard to understand. I don't myself," I said smiling. He blew an invisible, well, he tried to not show it, breath. He seemed trying to understand me, get to know me and it was appreciated. I would, probably, never be fully understood by anyone, except for maybe those that I shared the bond with. I would probably never understand him. And that was fine. Even if we would never truly understand one another, we liked being around each other.

      We drank tea until the moon shone high, casting light through the windows. Benjamin became tired, nearly falling asleep into his tea and I showed him to his room but I stayed at the table, swirling and sipping the dark purple-red tea.