Things She'll Never Know: 1/1 [Angst]

Categories: Angst, Mature

He sat next to his daughter as he watched his wife - ex-wife - walk down the aisle. He watched in silence as her new partner took her small hands in his and slid a golden band on her finger.

This shouldn't be a painful experience. He's moved on. His date is sitting next to him, fanning herself with the monogrammed card that was given to each guest upon arrival.

She looked like a dream. She stood before her friends and family in a gorgeous form-fitting champagne gown, smiling brightly at the prospect of becoming Mrs. Anderson. He shouldn't be here. He shouldn't witness such a personal event in her life anymore.

He cursed himself silently for pursuing such an amicable relationship for their children. Sometimes he'd wondered if it'd be easier to fight with her at carpool, to drop the kids off at football practice without having to look into her deep blue eyes and wonder where it all went wrong.

To his surprise, he made it through the wedding without lunging forward to object or pulling a fire alarm. Though he'd considered it.

As he sat in the reception hall, consumed by his thoughts, his girlfriend tugging on his suit jacket finally pulled him out of it.

"I love this song!" his date excitedly declared as a popular dance song blared over the loudspeakers.

Joe stifled a groan. He dreaded where this was heading, knowing that he was about to be pulled onto the dance floor. The word 'uncomfortable' wasn't strong enough to describe his disdain for dancing. It had been a long time since his last dance - which was at a gala with his ex-wife and that night ended with him sleeping on the sofa. Perhaps dancing was a bad omen for him.

He would rather endure two lengthy filibusters back to back than dance in front of this particular group of people. Eventually, he realized that refusing a dance was more humiliating than succumbing to his date's peer pressure.

His date pulled his arm. "Come on! Let's see if that rhythm is just as good outside of the bedroom." She said with a wink and Hunter groaned audibly behind him.

"You should lower your expectations. I'm afraid you're going to be disappointed, honey." Joe laughed, pulling her closer to him. "I'm much better in the bedroom."

She feigned a sad expression and sighed dramatically.

"Fine, fine!" He held up his hands in defeat, forfeiting.

"Yay!" She cheerfully clapped, reminding him of an excited child. It was endearing enough that he didn't mind.

"One dance." He promised, holding up his index finger.

The effervescent woman sprung up from her seat and ushered him onto the dance floor.

He smiled to himself as she twirled herself around on the dance floor merely so that she could see her emerald green dress flare.

She was unsophisticated and easily impressed, he thought to himself. It was almost a nice change. She was different: sometimes too different. Then again sometimes she was the right amount of different to make him forget her just for a moment because she looked beautiful with her long, blonde hair cascading down her bare shoulders.

This was manageable for him. There were no expectations other than the dance, no strings, and certainly no courtship. For a moment he was genuinely happy, spinning her around on the dance floor. He was nothing more than her spotter as she did all of the moving and he stood there, waiting to dip her or lend a hand when expected.