One Day More

"A car hitting you. That is what it feels like to lose your child," Erwin wrote in his journal.

This was exactly what had happened to him. His daughter had a long battle with cancer, eventually losing it. Erwin Ackerman-Smith and his husband Levi had lost their daughter Historia and the funeral was yesterday. Erwin's therapist had told him to start a journal to help cope with the whole situation, but he had not started it until now, and he felt some writer's block.

"Dinner," shouted Levi from downstairs. Erwin walked down and took his place on the couch with dinner. After Historias's death, they ate dinner on the couch and watched the news, too heartbroken to talk about anything.

"Breaking news: Scientists have made a major breakthrough in all technology; they have discovered how to bring people back from the dead for one day." Erwin's ears perked up a little.

The news continued, "We have one of the scientists working on this project here." A man showed up on the screen.

"Hi everyone, I'm Dr. Heinz, and I'm here today to talk to you about our new technology. We have spent many years working on and perfecting this project, and we have discovered how to bring people back for exactly 24 hours. We will start by bringing back some famous people for meetings that are like meet and greets to further fund our project, and eventually, we hope that we can bring back 1 person a day from all over the world." Erwin was very interested in this but did not say anything about it. They went to bed that night without saying a word.

They woke up the next day to a loud banging on their door. "Hey, Hange," Levi said, as he rushed down to the door, groggily

Hange was the Ackerman-Smith's close family friend who was trying to help them in this time of grief, and they were trying to keep everything upbeat.

"Hey, Levi! Where's Erwin?"

"Still in bed, want me to get him?

"Of course!"

Levi went up to get Erwin as Hange made themselves welcome in their house.

"Hey, Hange," Erwin said very tiredly.

"Did y'all see the news last night?"

"Yeah," Levi and Erwin said at the same time.

"Well, I got you two tickets for the meet and greet with the Beatles."

"Really?" Erwin said, astonished.

"Well, no," Hange said, "But I did get a video call with Bob Ross."

"We can't accept that offer, why don't you do it?"
Levi said, while Erwin nodded along.

"Well, if you're sure, then I guess I'll do that; ok, gotta go. Molbit needs me."

"Bye then," Erwin said and then proceeded to get ready for work. Levi had been working from home for a while before and after Historias passing, so he did not have to get ready, but went to work nonetheless. Erwin worked as a movie producer, and Levi ran his own business that fixed computers.

It was a normal day at work for the two. Erwin later went to his therapy session and during it, he was told to just "live one day at a time."

Erwin and Levi lived by this statement for two years.

Erwin awoke with a start, he had been having a recurring nightmare about being hit by a car, maybe because he had described it felt the same to be hit by a car as to lose his daughter. Erwin was getting ready for work and started thinking about the movie they were making. The movie he was making at the moment that dealt with alternate realities, and he wished he could go to one, one where his daughter was still here. Levi turned up the news a little louder.