Undoubtedly Him

While in high school, Eric and Cassidy had gotten even closer than ever before. Growing up on the same block in a small town, they were always drawn to each other. High school changed things, however. It was the summer before their junior year, 1983. Cassie had just broken up with her first boyfriend, which truthfully had only lasted two months, but she was heartbroken. Eric tried everything he could do to cheer her up. "Come on, Cas, you can't be a blob on the couch for the rest of the summer!" Eric pulled her arms as Cas protested.
"I just want to be left alone."
"Your mom is worried about you, I'm worried about you. Greg was a dick anyway."
"But you didn't catch him making out with Tina by the bathrooms on the second floor, Eric. That shit hurt, like a lot. I'm totally not doing anything but sitting in the house reading this summer."
Eric stood up straight, glaring at his friend. "Mrs. Drake?" He called out. The tall, slim figure of Cas's mother came into the living room. Her red hair was cut short, and she wore an apron over her jeans and short sleeve shirt.
"Yes, Eric?"
"I need you to open the front door for me, please." Mrs. Drake smiled, knowing Eric had a backup plan to cheer up her daughter. She held open the door.
"What are you--?" Before she finish asking, Eric scooped her up into a fireman's carry. "Hey!"
"I'll have her back by ten tonight, Mrs. Drake!" Eric called back as he opened the door to his 1971 Chevy Nova.
-
Cassie protested the entire ride, which Eric found amusing. "You don't even know where we're going." He said with a giggle.
"You're taking me somewhere to be murdered, I hope."
"Oh, shut up, we're almost there."
The sky had gone to an orange hue as the sun began to set. As the beat up Chevy made its way over a hill, they saw lights.
"The carnival is in town?" Cassie elated.
"Its the last night, I can't believe we almost missed it because of your moping."
The first place they hit was the little roller coaster in the far corner. At the drop, Eric held Cas's hand hard. They both screamed with delight.
And of course, no carnival worth its salt was without her favorite: the dark ride. It stood before them, with the painted face of a red devil surrounded by ghouls and goblins alike. They smiled as they got into the cart. "I don't want to hear about no funny business in there, you two. I know what kids like you do in these dark rides, and I ain't gonna tolerate it." The attendant looked at them with stern eyes.
"We aren't dating, Mister." Eric said with a smirk.
"Well, I got my eye on you."
Cas looked to Eric before linking her arm with his. Eric couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. The ride started off easy enough, a few fake spiders and creepy paintings. As they neared a corner, an animatronic Michael Myers came bursting out of the door to a fake closet. Cas screamed and buried her head into Eric's shoulder. He smiled down at her for a moment, feeling he wanted to protect her no matter the cost.
After winning a little stuffed duck for her at the ball toss, the pair went to their last stop. They boarded the ferris wheel, and the little rusty gate locked beside them. Eric sat down next to Cas with his arm around her. The wheel stopped at the very top, something they were never lucky enough to get. "Yes, finally! I don't think we've ever been stuck at the top!" Cassie turned to look down at the people below. "They're like little ants." Eric could only look at Cassidy. When she finally turned to look at him, his face went flush with color. "Whats wrong, scared of heights all of a sudden?"
"No, just thinking I guess."
"About what?" She smiled an innocent smile, trying to hide her sudden heartbeat.
"How stupid Greg is to have lost such a great person." He said at last.
"Oh, Eric. Thank you so much for taking me out tonight. You really woke me up."
"Me too." He said as he looked from her eyes to her lips. Eric started to lean in, Cassidy too. The ride started back up with a jolt, scaring the two seventeen year olds. They quickly backed away from each other, neither one looking at the other. What just happened, Cas asked herself. At that moment, she knew for a fact what she was trying to force herself to repress. She was unequivocally, undoubtedly, whole heartedly in love with her best friend, Eric Draven.

---

Gabriel dropped from Cassie's arms as she stood to face the circular window. The silhouette could have only been one person, but that was impossible.
"What?" She only took a few steps toward the figure before she landed on her stomach, tripping over the debris of abandon. "Eric?" She scrambled to her feet, her dress now torn and beaten.
The pair ran toward each other, landing in a tight embrace. Cassidy began to cry as she smelled him, felt him, knew he was really there. She was so confused, so lost, but none of that mattered in that moment. It was Eric. It was her Eric.
"I thought you were gone forever. I thought the rain would never stop."
"It can't rain all the time, Duckling."