Chapter 6

I had been searching for the perfect gift all day, purposely avoiding Dolores and the rest of Madrigals. A pretty necklace? A nice dress? I had been so confused that I hadn't noticed I bumped into Mariano.

"Are you alright, Y/N?" Mariano had asked concerned. I sighed and made a fake smile.

"Of course, I was just shopping for Dolores. We had a fight and I want to make everything better so..." I responded, awkwardly. We made awkward eye contact so I immediately said, "So what brings you around here?"

"Well I plan on proposing to Isabela tonight," Mariano sighed, showing the ring. Apparently he was the only one who couldn't see the discomfort in Isabela's face every single time he was even near her. I thought of the look on Isabela's face and almost laughed.

I knew Isabela as much as Dolores ever since I moved here, but we didn't click like me and Dolores. We started to drift apart as she became more and more like her Abuela. Back when she was slightly younger and we were close, she would talk about how she hated that she was forced to be perfect, how she could only wear and like certain things. I felt sympathy for her problems and did my best to help until we started to drift apart.

I said my goodbye's to Mariano and continued my search, maybe I shouldn't buy her anything. Should I write or make something for her? Maybe I should write her a love letter. I ran home and began to start writing.

Dolores POV:

After the dinner with the family I went out to town, looking for Y/N. I haven't seen them in awhile but I missed hearing them talk. When we were younger we both made an oath to not disrespect each other's privacy. But every once in awhile I would break that to listen to them talk. It was almost soothing hearing their voice.

I tried to listen to them to find where they were but I heard only mumbling. Then only silence, I stared at the ground with confusion on my face, until I just shrugged it off. I should just leave them alone.

It had only been a little while since I had found out my feelings for them. It felt amazing to have found what these feelings meant. I believe I had always felt this way but I was too distracted by certain people and situations. I wasn't sure how to feel about Mariano, it still hurt knowing he would be engaged to my own cousin soon. I sighed and began to be lost in thought.

Tio Bruno said that my true love would be out of reach, I had always believed Mariano was my true love. If I no longer feel the way I thought I had for Mariano, is Y/N my real true love? I smiled at the thought and walked back to Casita.

(A/N: Y/N is not intended to have a specific gender so everyone can read it. I will not change the pronouns I write to make this open for anyone.)