- 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

ALL DAY, her mind was occupied with the mystery man. who was he? she was barely able to focus as gale further explained the situation. she ran through her mind, chasing after the sense she felt when she saw him, but vana kenobi couldn't catch up. she'd conclude that the man was force sensitive and knew enough to be able to shield his identity from other force users. it was a skill that during these times was handy, one that vana had yet to completely master.

"master jedi?" gale called for her attention again. she slowly looked up at him, focusing on him. his eyes were filled with genuine concern for the girl, and based on the way his forehead creased, he was more than concerned.

"i'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"i was just telling your friends that i don't know where these pirates come from. they come out of no where it seems. i was theorizing that they live in the mountains, like the tuskans, but i'm far too scared to see for myself," gale chuckled at his cowardice. who blamed him? these pirates have killed his people on numerous occasions.

"and why are they killing your people?" vana asked quietly.

"we never give them what they want,"

"what do they want?" vana asked, pressing in. gale hesitated. he pursed his lips, gave the cantina a good look around before speaking again.

"beskar," he whispered. vana widened her eyes but tried not to show the genuine surprise she felt. beskar?

"beskar is mandalorian, how do you have it?"

"bounty hunters have come through, making trade."

"you don't just 'trade' beskar. it's the strongest armor a man — or a woman — could wear. i always wondered why the republic never used it on our men," vana informed. the metal was highly expensive, but it made sense as to why their village was so targeted. it also made sense why there would be sketchy figures walking among the community.

"you know it," it was a statement, a matter of fact. gale gave vana a look; there was more to her than being a jedi. vana recognized the look, and she paused. she had to be very careful with what she said next; she didn't want to reveal her life story to the man in front of her.

"i've...dealt with it. i knew some people who owned beskar," what a sorry excuse for a lie. vana mentally slapped herself as she waited for him to press further.

"you knew mandalorians?" when did this all of a sudden become about her? wasn't their job supposed to be taking care of the pirates?

"with all due respect, gale, stop asking questions. the less you know, the longer you'll stay alive," vana was tired of his relentless interrogation, but the conversation was at least entertaining for the men sitting beside her.

gale was taken aback by her outburst, but he didn't press for more answers. he informed the crew of where'd they be sleeping and had someone take them there. it wasn't going to be up to par with what vana lived in on coruscant, but it was enough. the crew walked into the run-down shack, the size of it solidifying the unease everyone felt.

"the only other room will be vana's," hunter spoke, nodding his head at the jedi. she appreciated the privacy, as she'd need it for obvious reasons. vana walked into the smaller back room, listening to the quiet echoes of her footfalls. the whole building — if you'd call it that — was dusty. there was no furniture other than cots for beds. a small mechanism in the larger area behind her looked to be something you'd cook on, but vana knew she wouldn't be eating much due to nerves. besides, she had her food anyways.

the windows were covered in sand, which would aid in privacy. vana set her things down and sat down on the cot, cross-legged. her hands hugged her ankles as she sat there in thought. the temptation to meditate was strong; she felt her body slip in and out of focus. she exhaled and uncrossed her legs; she couldn't be seen by any unnecessary forces.

"vana?" the quiet yet stoic voice of hunter interrupted her, thankfully.

"yeah?"

"talk to me," he hummed, sitting down next to her on the cot. she exhaled, fidgeting with her fingers.

"about what?"

"anything. somethings bothering you," he noted. it was obvious something was bothering her, several somethings that is.

"beskar wasn't unfamiliar to me. growing up in mandalore, i knew of it and even messed with the metal itself. i didn't think any of it survived," she whispered. hunter put together the pieces; she didn't trust gale. if he was being honest, he didn't either. not completely.

"well it has, and these pirates want it,"

"i guess we'll have to wait for these pirates to come back into town," she hummed. vana looked at him with a soft expression, the first one she'd given anyone the whole trip. hunter laid a comforting hand on her shoulder, offering her a small smile.

"it'll be alright," he promised her. he stood up and left her to her thoughts. vana laid back on the cot, allowing her eyes to close and her mind to drift off.

______

bout to update all of my books because covid has me out haha. anyways, enjoy! i'll be spitting more chapters out more frequently (hopefully)