Chapter 9

Hayley POV

Wow. Just wow.

I stay out on the porch for a good five minutes trying to work out what on earth just happened. When I heard the truck coming into the drive, I just assumed it was a delivery driver from the hardware store with my next load of supplies, but when I realized who it was, I felt butterflies in my stomach like a teenager with their first crush in high school.

I had seen his picture printed beside mine in the local paper and had been drooling over it all week. I'm ashamed to admit this was on top of turning the thank you card that he sent me over and over in my hands as if it was my very first valentine's day card. Is it possible to fancy someone's handwriting? Was it possible that the card smelled like him? Yes, I sniffed it. Even I am embarrassed at my behaviour for that one. I was acting like a crazy woman, getting obsessed with a man I didn't even know. But then there he was, looking even better in person, and I knew instantly I had been dead right all along. He was a man worth being obsessed with.

As he climbed out of his truck, wearing dark jeans, work boots and a soft white shirt rolled up to reveal strong, tanned forearms, my heart leaped. He was all firm muscles and confidence as he walked over to me with a warm smile that would make any sane woman melt, and I knew this was the finest specimen of a man I was ever likely to see. Dark brown hair that curled a little bit around his ears, chocolate brown eyes with a fleck of gold that seemed to be lit from inside. Strong cheekbones and full lips that I just want to bite.

Holy crap.

I tried to keep it together as best as I could, but he must have seen me blushing when I said he looked good. I mean he did look great, the man is hot, hot, hot, but I hadn't meant to say it out loud.

His offer to give me some free labour to help with the house was tempting. I didn't want to take advantage, but without help, it was going to take me a long time to do the work by myself. I had thought that was a good thing, that enough time would have passed by the time it was ready to open to know whether James was still trying to find me. But now that my cover may already have been blown, it's probably a good idea to get it up and running sooner rather than later so there are always people around.

And there was no harm in getting some quotes for the rest was there? Plus, I didn't think his mother would take no for an answer. It was probably all her idea anyway. The real bonus, of course, was that I might get to see this gorgeous man again.

As we wandered around the house, any time he was close to me, it was as if there was heat, an animal magnetism between us. His gorgeous manly smell made me want to throw myself at him and climb him like a tree. I've never had a reaction like this to a man before. And I don't think it was all just me as I definitely caught him checking me out in the kitchen.

When he had grabbed my hand and pulled me closer to him, I felt tingles running across my fingers and palm, and I forgot how to speak for a minute as desire like I have never experienced before rushed through me. I just wanted to beg him to take me there and then on the kitchen island. His brown eyes had all but disappeared as his pupils widened and I knew it wasn't just me who felt it.

How amazing would it be to have a big strong man like this looking out for you all the time? And in your bed. But that was getting slightly ahead of myself, or massively ahead of myself. All he wanted to do was repay me for what I had done, not marry me. It was pathetic that I was so unused to a man doing something nice for me that I was reading all sorts of things into it.

What surprised me most about Cooper though wasn't how handsome he was, but that he listened intently to my ideas and made notes as we went about what I wanted, making suggestions here and there but not criticizing anything I had planned. He spoke very little about himself, mainly trying to sell me the town as Leila had and to find out more about my job and what I had been doing since I arrived. Even though his family is very successful there was nothing showy or flashy about him. It was easy and comfortable, and he had a wicked sense of humour to boot. No wonder everyone in town loved him.

Once the tour had finished, he hadn't lingered, just said his goodbyes and that he'd be back in touch. I longed for him to touch me again after that first time, and when our hands had grabbed for the doorknob at the same time, my legs got weak at the knees. I never thought swooning over a man was an actual thing, but I had never reacted to anyone as I did with Cooper. I was still in shock when pressed my body to his and took my lips in a devastating kiss. And that's exactly what he did, take. It was intoxicating. I bet I could just give myself over to a man like that and he'd know exactly what to do.

I have officially lost my mind, but maybe losing myself with Cooper Jones for a little while wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.