Prologue

A young, mottled she-cat was curled up in the nursery, watching her kits as they suckled. There was a particular one that she liked - Maplekit. This kit had a beautiful coat - she was a white tortoise-shell with dark brown, almost black, and ginger patches. Her green eyes had a gleam in them that she enjoyed.
The cat looked up as another entered the nursery - a tom called Newtheart. He padded over to the she-cat with a scowl.

When the queen did not say anything, the tom growled. "Well, what are their names?" He glowered.

The she-cat jumped a bit. "Oh, right, yes." She mewed. "This one is Pinekit - " she flicked her tail over a brown tabby tom with a white chest, underbelly, and legs. "This one is Sunkit - " she did the same thing over a white 'n ginger she-cat. "And this one is Maplekit, in honor of MapleClan - " she mewed, flicking her tail over that kit.

"It is a shame that you only have one tom." He picked the tom kit up in his jaws.

"Don't." The queen said stiffly. "He needs to suckle." she meowed. The tom grunted, dropping the kit down next to her.

"Fine then. Though why did you name Maplekit ... well, Maplekit, Cherryflower?" He asked.

"In honor of MapleClan, like I said." The queen - Cherryflower - responded.

"That's the thing! She is a she-cat, so she herself is no honor to MapleClan. Sunkit's name is fine, I suppose, however, and, surprisingly, Pinekit suits the tom. But I would suggest changing Maplekit's name. I'd say to Lostkit." He said, then turned, walking out of the nursery.

Before Cherryflower had been given any time to protest, she watched her mate walk out of the crowded nursery. She sighed softly, laying her tail flat over each of her three little kits.