Chapter 6: A Piece Left Behind

Daryl bent over as he grabbed the crossbow volt and slid it out of the creature's skull. It made a sloshing noise as it exited the wound. I kept watching, preparing myself and trying to get used to the sight. It was gruesome, being sort of shielded for what seems like a month, wasn't good for anyone. Not unless if we wanted to withstand this disease.

Glenn glanced towards me, gently tugging me along to follow the rest of the men who had moved on while I was thinking to myself.

He nodded towards me and I did the same. I picked up my pace into a slow jog, going through a hall and finally some part of the building that had a rusty old metal stair case that, to my guess, led up to the roof. I was the last to follow them, not really knowing the geography well of this building since I never visited this part.

When we reached the top landing of the metal stairs, Rick rattled onto the chains. He glanced back at us, waiting to see if we were ready to face what might be behind that door.

I breathed in and out and lifted up the hatchet. I braced myself for any gruesome sight, dead body, dehydrated human, maybe torn apart, you name it.

Rick gestured T-Dog over, who held bolt cutters, T-Dog lifted the bolt cutters and snapped the thick metal chains in half. T-Dog quickly pulled off the chain, making the sound of old metal being dragged, when Daryl quickly kicked the door open with his foot. Impatient to let T-Dog move out of the way.

"MERLE!" Daryl shouted as he quickly stepped out. "MERLE!" He climbed up some stairs that led to a small bridge, which stood over some huge pipe. Daryl jumped off the steps as he turned towards, where I presumed, where they had chained Merle.

I followed Glenn. They started to slow down as they neared the area. Why the heck were they slowing down?

I stopped shortly as I landed my eyes on the sight. I watched as Daryl shouted 'no' and let one arm sling on his side while the other held his crossbow.

Daryl turned towards T-Dog and Rick, glancing both at them and the sight. His face was scrunched up into anger and sadness mixed in. It was uncomfortable to watch as he tried to sob. He probably hardly cried, which explains the face.

"NO!" he shouted again. He kept pacing back in forth, processing it.

The sight was horrifying. Merle's damn hand was left behind. Blood was dried on the concrete and the cuffs. The thing was covered in dirt, his fingernails were filled with grime, the skin on his fingers were weathered. There was a saw beside the hand, vividly telling the story without you asking.

I guess you could say, small piece left behind. I chuckled yet cursed at myself for that pun. All puns should go to hell.

We stood in silence, Daryl's breathing a bit irregular. We didn't bother to say anything, in case we triggered something in him. He could be unpredictable sometimes.

It became deadly silent.

I stood there, my back beginning to ache and my feet were sore. I swiped sweat off my eyebrow as I was cautious, waiting to see if Daryl might suddenly lose his mind or temper.

Daryl grunted as he swiftly lifted up his crossbow, giving out a loud click, and aimed at T-Dog.

What do you know, I wasn't wrong.

As if Rick were expecting it, he quietly cocked the pistol towards Daryl's head. I watched as Daryl was breathing hard, deciding if he should react irrational.

I backed up, bumping my side into Glenn while I studied them. I remembered Rick explaining his journey to the camp, how he fired one shot and was swarmed by the dead people, the walkers. And I'm pretty he wouldn't hesitate to do what's need to be done, but the risk was just overwhelming.