Chapter one. Volunteer. 01

'Harris.'

'Here!'

I respond to the booming voice of the sergeant.
Nerves bubble in my stomach at the notice of being the only female of this platoon.
The only thing given to me so far are harsh glances from the guys around.
The platoon further ahead consists of six women.

Unfair.

Couldn't they have put at least one of them with me?

'Okay! Gather your things and follow me.'
I grab my bag and fall in step with the others, slowly picking up pace as everyone joins in. The further we walk from our first meeting point, the quieter the busy murmuring of people around gets, until it's eventually behind us. That's when we get stopped again.

'Form a line.'

The order is loud and clear and everyone is quick to react. We stand a few inches from one another as me and 27 others follow the order as best as we can.

Commanding officer Iverson.
The man doesn't seem nice, and his way of speech seems a bit off. He seems full of himself, and even though we haven't been explained anything yet, he already downsizes the way we've acted up until now. The dark stubble and knitted brows make him look stern. But nothing of him makes me respect him now.

He seems too harsh,
Too full of himself.

So I'm happy when our staff sergeant walks up and introduces himself.
I'm sergeant Lancing, he said to introduce. Three deployments and eight years of military experience. He holds a less judging look over him, and he introduces us to what our three months of training will look like. He's clear, and easy to understand, and with that lifts some of the weight off of my shoulders.

The introductions of our two main staff passes and we go on to the buddy pairing.

I take in a deep breath to ease the nerves serving through my veins, already watching the storm roll in. So when the cold eyes of our harsh commander land on me, it doesn't hit as hard. A nasty grin forms on his features while he maintains eye contact.

'to make this more interesting... I'll let you guys choose this one yourselves.'

The others are quick to catch onto what he means and i get fleeting glances from them.
'Seeing how Harris is the only woman around. You guys can choose who's going to buddy pair with her..... any volunteers?'

A painful silence falls as no one moves. The only thing heard now is the rustling of leaves in the wind and a faint voice of a different staff for a different group. The moment takes embarrassingly long, making the old man's grin grow even wider. It's when I hear movement to my right.

Wanting to look unphased I look at the commander, the green field and the tree line further ahead behind him, grass covered in dew glinstering in the morning sun.

A tall and broad guy comes to a stop next to me, moving to stand in line.

The commanders eyes leave me to look at the tall frame next to me, and he can't help but let out a laugh. 'You want to take the burden?'

His comment makes me swallow my anger, and the response from the guy next to me hurts a little more. 'Yes sir.'

'Norwood and Harris it is.'

I stand defeated and embarrassed as the commander moves on with the others.

-