5

M I L E S

I sat in my office, waiting for a call from Lincoln. All day Alissa has been up in her room, and I had to fight the urge to go up and check on her. Yesterday, I almost did something, I felt drawn to taste the lips of a girl the opposite of me. I wondered how it would feel to kiss a girl who could never take a life as a man that takes lives daily, I wondered if it would change her, I wondered if it would change me. But I'm sure it wouldn't - I'm a sinister creature, a cold-blooded monster, to kiss a girl made of all the bright things in life couldn't ever change the stone inside me that I call a heart. I wonder if it beats. 

My phone started to ring, so I forced myself out of my thoughts. I raised it to my ear and asked, "Lincoln Gomez, what updates do you have for me?"

"I fucked up a job, so I might take a week longer to come back to America. I'm sorry, I know it's absolute torture to live with Alissa. Just keep her alive, and once I'm back, she'll be out of both of our hair," he mutters into the phone, clearly annoyed. 

A fit of anger formed in my chest for a second, but I quickly repressed it. I never enjoyed parents speaking badly of their children, consider it because of my past, and also because I couldn't imagine what he found so torturous about having a daughter that smells and admires flowers for hours and has a smile as bright as the sun. However, his words made me curious, so I asked, "Don't get along with your daughter? And what do you mean by that, that she'll be out of both of our hair?"

He let out a laugh at my words, "How could anybody get along with that bitch? And don't worry about it. She'll be out of our lives soon enough."

He abruptly hung up the phone, and after listening to the sound of a disconnected call for a moment, I tossed it back on my desk. Why the fuck was he talking that way about his child? And what does he have planned that I don't know about? Alissa seems like a lovely daughter. She's kind, pure. I didn't understand. 

A knock came from my door as Christian entered. He told me, "Cooks finished dinner. Should I call Alissa down here?"

If she has been upstairs all day, it's probably because she wants to be left alone. Perhaps I have finally scared her away, but not from my ruthless ways, from my softer side that I should've never allowed her to see. I shook my head, "Just go bring her up a plate."

He nodded and left my office. I lean back in my seat, brushing a black curl off my forehead. I'm a killer, I sit here in the room where I have taken multiple lives, and yet all I think about is a girl. 

I quickly stand up and cuff the sleeves to my shirt. I need a fucking cigarette. 

╚══ஓ๑♡๑ஓ══╝

A L I S S A

I've just been laying in my bed all day. I texted Sera and asked her if I could come over to her house tonight, to which she instantly agreed. I told her I might not be able to, but I'll try my best. I've been avoiding everybody all day, I'm scared that if I see their faces, then I'll feel guilty for running away. 

I don't know if I'll be able to sneak past all of the security guards outside, but I'm going to try my best. I'm waiting until it gets dark, so hopefully, they'll be tired and it'll be hard to see me.

A knock came from my door, and Christian entered my room. He held a plate of food in his hands and gave me a smile, "Hey. Brought dinner up for you."

I sat up, running my hands through my hair. I took the plate and told him while avoiding his eyes, "Thank you."

"Miles told me you haven't left your room all day. Everything okay?"

While taking a bite of my food, I simply nodded my head. Him asking that just made me feel more guilty. After swallowing I replied, "Yea, I'm just tired. Probably going to go to bed early tonight."