ii. the escape

━━ ☆ ━━

━━ ☆ ━━

The flight to Nevarro was silent. Thirteen had given up on her attempt at escape from the Mandalorian. He'd cuffed her again and sat her down in the cockpit, silent to her pleas to climb down into the hull to explore. Her head was resting on the edge of the seat when she heard a voice crackling over the console of the ship. She sat up to see a hologram of a man with his hands planted on his hips before her.

"Mando! I received your transmission," said the mini-man. "Wonderful news. Upon your return, deliver the quarries directly to the client. I have no idea if he wants to eat that thing or hang it on his wall but he's very antsy. Safe passage. You know where to find me." Thirteen's eyes cut from the hologram to the kid, who was unscrewing the handle of a joystick. Mando took the ball away before the Child could chew on it and put it down.

"It's not a toy." He picked up the small green creature by his robe and placed him back in the pram. His wide black eyes looked up at him and then at Thirteen as he reached a tiny hand out for her. Something deep in the pit of her stomach twisted. She could almost call it guilt. 

"You should be nicer to him," Thirteen said suddenly. The Mandalorian's head turned to face her as she continued. "If you're going to send him to his death, at least let him play first." 

"A job is a job," The bounty hunter replied, although Thirteen could hear the hesitation in his voice. She scoffed, tearing her eyes away from the child to look at the Mandalorian. 

"That's what I thought, too. Look where that got me." She raised her shackled hands, making him shake his head slightly as he turned back to the steering yolk. 

"That's not the same. You're here because you took the worst possible job in the galaxy." Thirteen laughed bitterly. 

"You think I had a choice?" She stopped herself and set her jaw, falling back into her seat. He fell silent as the ship's landing gears engaged and they slowly landed just outside of the city. Thirteen stood, legs shaky from lack of use. The Mandalorian ushered her down the ladder and to the ramp. She watched as the ramp lowered and then turned to look at the bounty hunter beside her.

"Let's go." He held her arm as he steered Thirteen through the busy roads, the baby's floating pram in tow. Smoke and dust drifted lazily through the air, creating a haze that made the brunette cough slightly. The bickering merchants' voices faded as the bounty hunter led them down a winding alleyway to a secluded set of industrial-looking buildings. 

The Mandalorian released her arm to knock on the door and stood back as a droid verified his identity. The door unlocked and they waited for a brief moment before a pair of stormtroopers stepped out, making Thirteen tense. If the bounty hunter noticed, he gave no indication as he gestured for her to follow them into the building. 

Thirteen took note of side rooms and hallways as one of the troopers prodded her in the back with his blaster, urging her to hurry her slowed pace. The other grabbed hold of the pram and tilted it down to look at the child.