Three Days

Alice awoke up the next day early In the morning. She lied there on the bed wide awake. No one was awake and Alice, being the imaginative person she was, couldn't fall back asleep. It was dark outside the sun just starting to rise. She forced herself to sit up and stand to her feet. Her mind may have been awake but her body wanted to stay in bed.

Alice walked to her wardrobe. She looked for a suitable dress to wear, seeing a red one her mother had given her, she tossed it aside. Ever since the last trip to Underland she had despised the color red. Alice then picked out a dark green dress that had slight ruffles with black lacing at the top and bottom of the dress, which went a bit past her knees. She put on the dress and black shoes, not bothering to do more with her looks than brush her hair.

Alice walked back over to her bed and fell onto it on her back sighing.

"Bored...", She mumbled quietly to herself. She rolled onto her stomach and propped her head up with one hand looking out a window next to her bed. The sun was rising and the sky looked beautiful full of colors. She could see it perfectly clear from the second story of the house. She watched the sun rise thinking to herself when something in the corner of her vision caught her eye... Alice looked down at the lawn of her home and saw another white rabbit! She tried not to get her hopes up like she had yesterday and many times before but Alice felt this time would be different.

The rabbit hopped across the lawn slowly. A white dot compared to the dark lawn. It stopped and quickly stood alerted by something. It then looked down fiddling with something in its paws. Alice instantly recognized this as what the white rabbit would do with his pocket watch when he needed to be somewhere!

She quickly stumbled off the bed as she grabbed the journal on her night stand, and ran out of the room tripping on the carpet in the doorway but making it down the stairs easily. She then quickly walked to the window at the front of the house to get a better look at the- the rabbit was gone.

Alice was quickly filled with disappointment. Even so, she quickly walked to the door to make sure he was gone. And sure enough, as she opened the door being hit with the cold morning air, there was no rabbit to be seen.

She looked to the ground and sighed. As she closed the door she heard a faint ticking noise but passed it off as some animal on a tree. Disappointed, Alice walked into the kitchen to make herself some breakfast setting the journal on a counter top . As she poured some orange juice into a glass she heard footsteps walking down the stairs and realized her commotion must have woken her mother up. The footsteps neared the kitchen and as Alice looked up she saw her tired mother still in her night gown walk into the kitchen.

"Hello mom." Alice greeted.

"Hello dear, why are you up so early?" Her mother asked.

"I couldn't sleep." Alice admitted.

"Hopefully no nightmares." Her mother fretted.

"No," Alice assured, "at least I don't think so." She knew some time while she slept she had a dream but couldn't recall what it was about.

"Good, you want to be getting good rest." Her mother stated. Spreading jam onto two pieces of toast.

"Why's that?" Alice asked curious as to what she meant.

Her mother looked up from the toast at Alice and gave a slight laugh. "Because today's your wedding rehearsal of course!" Her mother said with a smile.

Alice's eye widened but she quickly put on a blank face. With all the thoughts about the white rabbit she had completely forgotten. The real wedding was in about three days and the rehearsal was today! The nerves started getting to Alice. She didn't want to be married in the first place, and it being so close terrified her.

In an attempt to calm herself Alice looked out the window. She the flinched as she saw THE white rabbit outside the window on the window sill, he was in his usual tailcoat and was looking right at Alice.

"Are you alright dear?" Her mother asked noticing the change in behavior.

The white rabbit then pulled a pocket watch out of his coat. He showed her the clock and pointed to it, Alice could hear him in her mind saying the familiar words, "Were going to be late!" as he showed her the watch. Then he quickly hoped off the window sill.

It took Alice a few seconds to respond but she managed to get out, "Yes... I'm fine... I-I need to go..." Alice said grabbing her journal that she had almost forgotten and quickly walked out of the room.

"What? Where?!" Her mother called after her.

"Just... outside! I need some fresh air!" Alice replied putting a black jacket on and walking outside.

She walked to the back of the house near the window she had seen the white rabbit in, being careful to make sure her mother didn't see her.

"Rabbit?" Alice whispered trying to find him again. She around and saw the white rabbit on the edge of the small path that lead to the willow tree. He motioned for her to follow and scampered off.

Alice then ran as fast as she could after the rabbit gripping tightly to her journal. She made it to the willow tree, where the rabbit had disappeared. She leaned one arm against the tree catching her breath. Looking down she noticed a hole rabbit hole, a human sized rabbit hole like the one she had seen last time!

Alice bent down to the rabbit hole looking down into it. Then the dirt around the hole that Alice's hands had been supporting her with gave way and she once again fell head first into a rabbit hole.