03 | ignorance is bliss

"Most people are ignorant. Not because they can't be any different, but because they rather not be any different."

— Forbidden Fruits

CHAPTER THREE

»»☆««

Chat Noir was many things in the eyes of the people of Deadwood. A man cloaked in black, hidden behind a mask wasn't considered someone looking to protect his identity according to the people, but simply a coward. A coward who stole their goods and their money; who haunted their lives day and night for his personal gain... and perhaps they were correct. Perhaps deep inside, Chat Noir was a coward; an outcast since the day he had been born. But there was something about him that no one who judged him would ever know.

That he was a man just like them. A man with feelings and troubles of his own.

Sometimes, he liked to inject himself into the people's lives as if he were a part of the normality, just to remember what it felt like to be someone who wasn't a criminal. In truth, the interactions with the townspeople never made him feel normal. Why would it? The people would always see him as his masked, villainess persona if he always chose to hide his face, and even if he were to eventually reveal himself hoping for some sort of fantasized acceptance and perhaps even forgiveness, they would still see him as their destined enemy.

He figured a drink in the saloon would fix his disappointment. After all, liquor tended to fix most of his problems temporarily. He expected to be stared down when he entered, the joyous ruckus of drunk men easing down into an eerie silence as they all watched him unsurely.

But what he hadn't expected was for her to be there.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng. The mayor's only daughter. The youngest of five siblings. The pinnacle of her late mother's beauty. The most beautiful woman he had ever seen in his life (and that was saying a lot considering he'd seen a wonderous number of women in his lifetime.) But Marinette was not like other women. He was drawn to her, and not just her beauty. Something about her intrigued him. Perhaps it was because he could relate to her in some way. He knew that as the only daughter of the mayor, she was trapped, and he understood that feeling well.

But even with his innocent infatuation, there was no way that a man like himself could ever stand a chance with a woman like her. His reputation robbed him of that chance; his choices robbed him of many things.

Butttt that didn't mean he couldn't keep tabs on her.

Surprisingly, he hadn't known that she would be at the saloon that evening, and without her father knowing either. That thought had him smiling behind his glass. One thing he admired most about her was her determination to do as she pleased, which mostly involved going against society's standards and her father's rule.

A woman who liked to break the rules was certainly an eye-catching woman.

But of course, he could never be with the likes of her. His reputation would forever remind him of that, and so would the people of Deadwood. Besides, she has four older brothers. What kind of man would be brave enough to look death in the eye?