The Arrival

Would you believe me if I told you that what was supposed to be just another ordinary summer would turn into one of the most unlikely, webbed-footed, romantic fairytales ever told? It all starts with blurry images of open grass plaines followed by old wooden fences. Along with the occasional heard of sheep or bird outside the train window. That was unfortunately all that was scheduled on the first six hours of the Caputo's family vacation. There in the window of the left train car sat a child who seemed to be wondering when the channel of never ending fields would finally come to and end.

"Solí?"

"Solí. . ."

"Solí!"

"Huh?" The child, Solí, was snapped back to reality by their mama who let out a heavy sigh. She gave Solí an apologetic look but then smiled, "sorry but could you tell your brothers the tunnel is coming up so they'll settle down?". This seemed to brighten the previously dull-eyed Solí as they jumped up from the seat and dashed to the other car across the narrow hall. Mrs Caputo let out another heavy breath as she readjusted herself on the seat, her hand never leaving her stomach. "Maybe we should've stayed with the cat huh chico?".

Solí opened the train car to a passed out papa and two, tangled up, little terrors. "Marco! Archy! Quick look out the window!" the two boys scrambled to get off each other as they both pressed their faces to the glass as the green grassy fields turned into broad blue seas. Solí was starring at the water as they bounced on their feet but the sibling's view was cut short as everything cut to black. Marco let out a scream followed by Archy who both laughed loudly as they saw their Papa jerk awake.

Solí put their hands over their brothers mouths, "shush both of you, we're here". Archy shoved Solí's hand off of him and they released Marco in turn. As quickly as the light had vanished it returned revealing the station of their seaside get away, Portorosso. Speaking of vanishing, Solí was no longer in the car with their brothers or Papa. By the time the train had come to a complete stop and the blow of the whistle had sounded the kid had already grabbed their suitcase, backpack and was already at the door.

"Come on, come on, come on" Solí whispered as they tapped their foot as they waited for their slow moving family. They didn't have to wait too long as running past them came their two little brothers nearly dropping their own backpacks as the two pushed Solí out the door and off the train. "Oh my stars- You two are going to kill me!".

"Come here!" Solí attempted to grab Marco but the slick sibling dodged and started running around the station. They went for Archy next who they successfully locked in a headlock as he tried to pull their arm off but he was failing miserably.

Mr Caputo finished setting down both his and his wife's suitcases since there was no chance of her lifting it. He then helped his wife off the train before looking over at his kids, "stop fighting or I'll stop it for you". All the kids came to a jolting halt and Solí let go of Archy letting him wobbly catch his balance. "Sorry Papa" they apologized.

"Why are we here anyway? We have a pool!" Marco shouted as he looked into the town past the station entrance. The family stopped at the entrance and the siblings turned to look at their parents, curiosity plaguing them. Mr Caputo took Mrs Caputo's hand in his and they both smiled. "Because this is where me and your mother met and fell in love" he gazed at his wife as if he'd just taken a moment from time and recreated it's magic.

"Ok so is that it?" Marco rolled his eyes and sagged on the ground. "Guess someone doesn't want his water guns when we get to the house" Mrs Caputo threatened. "You really let him bring those?" asked Mr Caputo. "Fine! But I'm gonna get there first!" Marco ran off and Solí turned to their mama.

"He has no idea where the house is, dose he". Mrs Caputo slowly shook her head, "would you mind-". Solí gave her suitcase to her remaining brother "on it" and took off after Marco into the unfamiliar streets of the town. This would be just the start of Solí's summer adventure.