FOURTEEN

The first rays of sunlight, the kiran, sneak into the room from the large window panes which rose to the ceiling. The adhaan ( Islamic call to prayer ) echoed through the neighbourhood, awakening Shehnaz. She lazily sits up, stretching her arms over head before yawning. The rustic cream coloured Persian carpet's surface is brittle beneath her feet, as Shehnaz grabs her glasses from the shelf, her eyes blinking repeatedly to adjust with her surroundings. The grandfather clock from downstairs chimes, reminding her of Harry Potter. The sound causes Shehnaz to bite her lip in excitement while she grins like a child on Eid morning knowing they'll get salami today.

Shehnaz remembers that Alishba had asked to be awakened for fajr, as she heads downstairs after performing the adulation. Her grip over the scarf wrapped over her hair tightens once she feels the cold marble floor under her steps and tiptoes faster.

After the third knock on on the tall door made out of ebony, Alishba answers— a tasbih between her fingertips.

"Assalam Walaikum, beta, aap uth gaye?" ( you've woken up? )She asks, a soft smile dancing on her face.

"Walaikum Salam. Baas adhan ke saath hi jaag gaye, aap soyeen nehi?" ( I had just woken up with the adhan, you haven't slept? ) Shehnaz asks, her voice coming off more hoarse than usual after just waking up.

"Tahajjud kuch hee der pehle parli aur uske baadh socha fajr par kehi nindh ayegi." ( I prayed tahajjud just some time ago. Hence I thought I'll finally sleep after praying fadr ) She explains, before handing Shehnaz a jaynamaz. "Living room mein namaz parne chaale?"  ( shall we head to the living room for namaz? )

Shehnaz nods, as Alishba stares at her lovingly before gently moving her hand down the length of her hair, "Mashallah,"

As they prayed side by side, she felt warmth surge through her bones. She hadn't ever prayed beside a relative before, and this was nice. Her chest felt lighter performing her faith with another person. All the worries in her mind instantly faded, and she felt utterly grateful that she finally had someone to share her deen with.

It was, of course, a wonderful source of relief and comfort to know this dunya isn't the end— that everyone you've parted with here, you will see again. But it was pure happiness to know that one of them from your dunya carries the presence that will not abandon you in the akhira. So, Shehnaz prayed two shukrane nafls too, thanking Allah as she raised her hands for munazat while the quiet murmurs of Alishba doing zikr rang in her ears like a soothing lullaby.

______________________________________

The mouth watering aroma of butter filled the house in the morning. Present were the traditional paratha, puri and halwa, nihari aligned on the dining table, with russian salad and sliced fruits. Shehnaz tucked the lock of hair behind her ear before scooping the curry up with paratha and placing it inside her mouth, the steam aromatic against her senses as the food melts against her tongue.

"Ammi, fruits pass kareh," Aleena says, looking at Alishba whose fingers fiddled with the yarn in the hook. Shehnaz passes it instead, giving her a small smile.

"Aleena, yeh kya baat hoi? Aap pregnant hon, iss waqt mein diet nhi kaarte, ya'Allah,"  ( Aleena, what is this? You're pregnant, there's no need to diet at this stage," )

"Ammi, aapki doctor damaad aur uske nagging se toh abhi abhi kus saamein ke liye churtakara hasil ki humne, aap toh aab shuru maat ho jaye," ( Mum, it hasn't even been long since I got past your doctor son in law' and his nagging, don't you start too ) she says, her words muffled while she chews.