Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Chapter Five: Golden

Rowan

Zach darts into the living room, Kirk close behind. Zach has sky-blue paint in his hair and he's trying to keep Kirk from cleaning it out.

"It's acrylic, it'll just slip off!" Kirk cries, trying to out-navigate his mate around the couch.

Zach grins and sticks his tongue out.

Kirk launches over the couch and tackles Zach around the waist, sending him sprawling back into a beanbag. This was a mistake for Kirk, whose thin frame is no match for Zach's more solid one when grappling. Zach twists, pushing Kirk easily onto the floor, then scrambles up before running back out of the room. Kirk cusses and shifts to give chase again. I watch for a moment before he comes barreling back into the room, now being chased by Zach's lighter-colored wolf form. The two snarl and play-fight on the living room floor.

"Is that how boys flirt?" Serena asks from beside me.

"Girls, too," Arlette says from behind her, smiling as she watches Zach and Kirk.

Serena gives her a doubtful look. "I've never had a girl-"

Quicker than I would have thought possible, Arlette bends and grabs Serena before hefting her over her shoulder. Serena shrieks in laughter and surprise, wriggling against Arlette's strong hold. I don't think I've ever seen Serena so blissfully, childishly joyful.

"Mm, great view from here, too," Arlette says, her voice even, as though she's not holding a grown adult over her shoulder. She buries her face in Serena's hip before angling her neck to kiss the back of Serena's shorts. "I love you so much, I kissed ya ass, babygirl."

"Oh, fuck you," Serena hisses happily. She grabs Arlette around the waist and attempts to fling her legs over Arlette's shoulder. Arlette catches her behind the knees, but loses her balance and tumbles. Both women shift and battle behind the couch. I don't know how Serena can stare down Arlette's wolf form and feel anything besides fear.

Then again, I'm one of the only ones who still play-fights with Luis.

"Rowan, settle something for us. Is Josiah's color light blue or pink?" Hannah's voice says, running to me with two different tee shirts in those colors.

"Neither. Orange," I say.

"Orange?" Josiah asks, scowling at me from behind his girlfriend.

"Yeah. Complements your tan skin, contrasts your blue eyes. Red would probably work, too," I say. I study the shirt. "Or pink."

"Told you," Hannah says.

"I like blue," Josiah pouts.

Hannah rolls her eyes.

"My color is dark purple," I say. "I don't wear much of that, though."

Luis doesn't return for a while. Kept company by my friends, I don't worry after him.

"Ooh, let's go outside!" Hannah says suddenly, seeming to notice that the sun is setting. She looks at me. "Race you."

I shift. Zach quickly opens the door so neither of us smash into it as Hannah and I zip out into the backyard. I notice Jose walking around, flicking on the lights surrounding the patio. I wonder if he's going to make us barbeque. I hope so. No one makes barbeque like Jose Delgado.

Hannah beats me to the stone planters surrounding the back edge of the patio. I bite her ear and she whirls on me, fighting back. I successfully manage to pin her to the stone, but I think she let me. We shift back, laughing. She shoves me in the stomach and I smack her shoulder.

I look up and see my parents in the living room, walking toward me. Confusion grips me, but I walk up to hug them. "What are you guys doing here?" I ask my mom, dad, and Joanna. They greet me, faces happy, but none of them offer me an explanation.

icon lock

Show your support for Rian, and continue reading this story

by Rian
@Bad_at_Listening
Sequel to Basic Smoke. The death of her mother leaves seventeen-year...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 37 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @Bad_at_Listening.