1.1

The air was chilly, the morning was calm, and the softly crashing waves merely served as a reminder of what had happened the night before.

Eleanor Kane had known no sadness. She had grown up alongside the Cameron's. Played dress up with Wheezie, had her first crush on Rafe, and watched the stars with Sarah. Kie had plated a huge part in her life before they all tour apart. She had known no heartbreak like she had yesterday. Last nights, thump, thump, thumping of hearts, and streaming tears had melted into a hollow girl. The hollowness Eleanor Kane holds now can only be described that of a shell, holding in a thousand oceans of tears. 

Though, Eleanor knew she had no right to feel this way. She hadn't spoken to Sarah in years, when high school hit, Sarah changed, and Eleanor, well, she faded into the background, a Kook without a crowd. No less, the Pogues, she felt for them. She had never had an encounter with the John B but she heard plenty. However, one of them in particular caught her eye but not in a good way. She saw him every so often, sometimes at the Wreck, others fixing boats, but usually he was mowing lawns. 

All of Outer Banks was in Shock. Well, maybe not all of, but the people who mattered were shook up.

At school Eleanor went by Ellie. She didn't expand outside her advanced classmates and had dreams of going to Princeton. She hadn't had the opportunity to cross paths with the remaining Pogues until the opportunity for a mission field trip came along, to nonother than the Caribbean, shockingly close to the Bahamas.

By noon, the sun beat down brutally, but it smoothed Ellie in a way. It reminded her of her mothers hugs. 

"God, that guy's such an ass." Sami said shaking her head. Ellie picked her head up from her sandwich to see none other than JJ Maybank was hollering off all kinds of words to the girls who passed by him in the grassy courtyard. "Why do you care?" 

Sami stared back, "His friends almost ran me over this morning when I got out of my car!" 

"Well, maybe that's a sign you got out the wrong door." Ellie shrugged. The boys blonde hair was unruly sticking up every which way. His eyes matched the water. I felt as though I could physically drown in those blue eyes if she stared long enough. 

"You always defend them but you literally have never talked to them," Sami got a little closer whispering into Ellie's ear, "and didn't you hear that John B is a...."

Ellie crumped up her paper sack, "Yes, what happened is such a total tragedy, John B didn't do anything until proven guilty," she stood abruptly, "and quite frankly I don't care it's still sad what happened. Plus, we're going to miss the meeting." Briskly Ellie headed for the school doors Sami following close behind heading straight for their lockers. 

"Breathe, El. They're probably gonna talk about stuff we already know." Sami laughed turning her lock, "Besides, I'm only going so I can get out of this period." 

Huffing Ellie leaned against her locker, "Although, I'm sure you'd love to miss class. I need to make it to this meeting. The trip is important to me!"  

Sami tossed her books onto the shelf, "Yeah, yeah, college essays or whatever." Slamming her locker with just enough force Sami faced her, "Oh, my god, you're to explode if you stay this tight. Speaking of tight..." Ellie allowed her eyes to follow Sami's

"Hey, Ellie." Topper said walking past them both down the hall towards the meeting room. 

Sami jumped from foot to foot "'Hey, Ellie'? He knows your name!" Ellie took off the direction Topper went, "Yeah, I guess he does, can we please go now." 

Sami smiled nudging Ellie as they entered the classroom, "Please sleep with him, for me?" 

The rounded the corner hearing Mr. Christiansen's voice grow louder, ""All right, up, everybody. The bus will be leaving at 7 a.m. tomorrow, o be on time. Otherwise..." just as they rounded the corner someone bumped into her, "Whoa, sorry Kook princess."

Just like that Ellie's eyes met JJ's for the first time in 3 years. 

"Okay, you too have a seat, I expect this from Mr. Maybank but not from you Ellie." Mr. Christensen stated. "All right. So the bus will be leaving at 7 a.m. sharp, all right? Be on time or the bus will be leaving without you." 

Sami turned around, How'd he even get on this trip? I thought he was arrested last summer like, a dozen times."

Mr. Christiansen stood at the front of the class, "For the five days, we'll be to a school with Humanity. The last days, we'll be the island and on excursions, and it be a lot of fun." Ellie nodded, "You don't know maybe community service." 

JJ leaned forward his breathe hot on Ellie's neck, "You know I can hear you, right?"

Sami rolled her eyes, "So, headline, Topper knows Ellie's name." To the left of them was Sami's twin sister, Anna. Who almost dropped dead at this newfound information. 

"Oh, yeah he totally professed his love for me by saying my name, Ellie popped into the conversation.

"Okay, so Ellie and Topper?" Anna looked up setting her chin in her palm, "I kind of like that."

Anna and Sami looked right at each other. "We have one week on the island to work our magic

and get Emma here, laid by Topper." Ellie hated their twin telepathic ability, "Oh, do I have a say in this?" 

"No, not at all."

Ellie sat back in her chair, "We're going on this trip to help people."

"Yes, Ellie, we're going to help people!" Mr. Christiansen stated, "But please pay attention." 

He clicked the slide of his presentation to it's last slide, "Make sure to look at the itinerary and be on the bus at 7."

As the three girls walked out of the classroom towards their shared AP Biology course Sami stopped, "really."

"What?" Anna asked.

"Ellie is scoping out JJ," she said pointing down the packed hallway. He wasn't hard to miss he wore cut off short, dirty boots, and a cut off almost everyday. It made you wonder how he didn't get dress coded. "I heard he spent a week in jail over the summer." 

Anna scoffed, "No, I think he's kinda cute, but in a criminal ,rebel with a cause, kind of way." 

"Please, girls like our Ellie don't hook up with boys like JJ," Sami intervened, "Especially when she's got Topper on the Hook."