If Not For One Summer

Summer was always a shit time for Jundo. The loud buzz of the cicadas, the sweltering hot heat, and the utter boredom he felt left no room for enjoyment. He lay on his bed staring off into space as he brushed a stray strand of brown hair out of his eye. "JUNDO!" a gruff voice called out. The teen in question shot up, accidentally knocking over a photo of him and another teen. The other teen was about two inches shorter than Jundo, with straight black hair reigned into two individual buns. She had ruby red eyes and had a face adorned with freckles. She wore a white t-shirt and grey shorts and held a peace sign while flashing a wide grin towards the camera. Jundo picked up the photo and set it back in its original resting place before jogging downstairs to complete whatever task his grandfather had wanted of him.

Across the town from Jundo's location was the town's port, where boats deported and docked throughout the day. At this port we see a woman lugging her belongings off of a boat and into an awaiting car. "Welcome back honey!" the driver said, wrapping the girl into a hug. "Mom please, stop," she said pulling away and fixing her now ruined hair into its original buns. "But I've missed you" the mom replied before spotting a familiarly shaped piece of luggage. Her brows furrowed as she turned her focus back towards her daughter. "Hana, are you seriously still trying that guitar nonsense?.". Hana stopped fiddling with her hair as realization dawned upon her and her eyes shot towards the luggage lying in the car. "OH N-No I just hadn't got the chance to get rid of it yet, that's all," she answered with a lie. The mother looked upon her daughter before turning towards her car and signaling for her charge to enter.

After Jundo finished the chores he was assigned he decided to grab something sweet, as opposed to the typically salty fish he'd usually eat at this time, and so he grabbed his keys, tied his sneakers, and wiped his olive-green eyes clean of any disturbances before heading towards the door. As he was walking through the streets of his town, he came across a small cafe that caused an upspring of memories and emotions within him, particularly the time he spent with her here. Jundo shook his head and walked into the aptly named Café Léblanc: Crépes and Coffee because their specialties were well Crépes and coffee. After ordering he walked into the booth towards the back and that's when he saw her. Sitting in the backmost booth sat a teen no young woman with black hair tied into two messy buns, sharp ruby red eyes, and freckles scattered across her face. Jundo stood shocked, unable to move in his stupor. The woman turned towards Jundo and soon mimicked his expression. The two bore into each other's soul for what felt like hours before Jundo scrambled into the booth seat parallel to her. "What are- You're- When-....Hi." Jundo stammered, unable to ask all the questions swarming his thoughts. "Hi..." Hana responded. The two sat for a while in an uncomfortable silence that was only broken once their orders came. They each shot off a quick thank you and started to eat, a dark chocolate crepe for Jundo and a strawberry one for Hana. "After all these years you still refuse to accept milk chocolate superiority" Hana commented with a giggle. Jundo shot his head up for a retort but stopped short, entranced by the woman's smile. He soon snapped out of it and asked the question that had been plaguing his mind from the moment he saw her. "Why?" he questioned, barely a whisper. "Why what?". "Why come back now, after you disappeared....after you left me". Hana had no answer and instead decided to focus her efforts on contorting the crepe with her fork. Silence ensued for three gut-wrenching minutes before Jundo abruptly stood and exited Léblanc, Hana giving no chase as a lone tear stained the strawberry that lay rest upon a bed of whipped cream.

Jundo walked back home with his head down, dodging the crowd until he arrived at his destination. Once inside he was greeted by his grandfather resting on the couch, medicine beside him. "Oh yeah, some girlie came to see you didn't get her name though, she's in your room." his grandfather mentioned almost uncaringly. Jundo offered a nod in response and trekked up the stairs towards his room. Once he opened the door and saw who it was, he was trying to close it once more. Hana leaped up and stopped the door with one of her arms, using the other to yank Jundo inside. "I need to talk to you," she said as the taller boy landed on his bed. The room was silent for a moment as Hana collected her thoughts. "I was sent to Germany," she said looking downwards. "If that's all you came to talk about then yo-" Jundo was cut off as a teary Hana enveloped him into a hug. "My parent's shipped me off to Germany to go to med school, I never wanted to leave town, and Jundo I-I.......I never wanted to leave you" she sobbed out before collapsing on top of Jundo. The two stayed that way for a while as Jundo rubbed her back in circles. Soon the crying ceased and the two pulled apart from each other. Jundo used this moment to ask a question he had nagging at the back of his head. "What do you mean forced you to go, didn't you want to become a doctor?". Hana looked at the boy and blinked before sighing and shaking her head at her carelessness. "The whole doctor profession wasn't my thing, rather my family. In all honesty I'd rather play music for a living" she answered. The room regained its quiet atmosphere until Hana noticed an olive green electric guitar resting against the wall and a small amp accompanying it. She made her way towards the two and picked them up, setting them on the bed and turning towards Jundo. "What's this?" she asked with a slight tilt of her head. "OH uh I'd been trying to learn it so I could probably y'know play music with you maybe" he replied, a rose tint dancing across his face. Hana only nodded and turned her attention back to the guitar. Running her fingers against the low E chord, an off-tune rattling noise played causing her to retract her hands and look back to Jundo. "Hey...could I maybe y'know have this? Only if you're not using it of course. My mom most likely got rid of the one I have," She asked/stammered out. She got a nod in response causing her to flash a small smile. "Oh, and Jundo?" she called causing the boy's head to perk up. "Let's go out sometime. Yeah?" she finished before walking out, not even waiting for his answer.