Cast and Characters

Harry Styles as Troy Bolton, the most popular male student at East High School and the captain of the varsity basketball team.

Olivia Wilde as Gabriella Montez, a transfer student who joins the scholastic decathlon team and is attracted to Harry.

Camila Mendes as Sharpay Evans, an energetic and proud student with a love of theatre and being the center of attention—particularly Harry's who employs her twin brother, Dalton, in her schemes.

Dalton Gomez as Ryan Evans, a member of the drama club who aids his twin sister, Camila, in sabotaging Olivia's relationship with Harry.

Zayn Malik as Chad Danforth, Harry's best friend and member of the basketball team.

Gigi Hadid as Taylor McKessie, captain of the school's scholastic decathlon team who shows Olivia the ropes of East High.

KJ Apa as Dave Matsui, principal of East High.

Des Styles as Jack Bolton, Harry's father and the coach of the basketball team who believes that Olivia is a distraction from Harry's basketball career.

Ariana Grande as Kelsi Neilson, an underappreciated pianist and composer who is initially shy and subservient to Camila.

Shawn Mendes as Zeke, a member of the basketball team who enjoys baking and admires Camila.

Louis Tomlinson as Jason Cross, a member of the basketball team who tends to ask mundane questions in class.

Perrie Edwards as Martha Cox, a peppy brainiac who enjoys hip-hop.

Selena Gomez as Ms. Darbus, a stern drama teacher who dislikes Mr. Styles, sports, and cell phones.

Zendaya Coleman as Ms. Tenny, a chemistry teacher at East High.

Ashley Tisdale as Lisa Montez, Olivia's mother, whose job makes them subject to frequent relocation.

Anne Twist as Lucille Bolton, Harry's mother.

Marisa Tomei as Ms. Falstaff, the librarian at East High.

Charles Melton as Coach Kellogg, another coach at East High.

Liz Gillies as Susan, a girl who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.

Niall Horan as Alan, a boy who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.

Demi Lovato as Cyndra, a girl who unsuccessfully auditions for the winter musical.