8

The van is seen turning around a corner as they've reached another blocked road, as multiple pieces of rubble made it practically impossible to drive through.

 "Damn it, another dead end," James muttered as his grip on the wheel got tighter.

 "This place is a damn maze now," Ethan says as he looks at the street sign. "There goes taking the quickest route."  Ethan tries to think of another way out of there, before Taylor speaks up.

 "Hey, I think I saw a rubble-free street? I mean it looked like Godzilla didn't walk through it?" She tells them.

 "Really? When?" James asks her.

 "I think it was on the right? On the last turn?" Taylor tries to recall.

 "Damn, alright, let's turn this thing around." James mutters as he looks back and begins to turn the van. As the van goes into reverse, Ethan notices the kids being extremely silent, with Jake holding onto his stuffed T-rex tightly, while Lucy is seen holding onto Alice tightly.

  Ethan sighed, knowing they're obviously afraid of everything going on. He wants to comfort them… but he would be lying if he said he himself wasn't afraid.  Ethan looks at rubble across the streets as they drive past. Suddenly an earth shaking roar is heard, as explosions are heard in the distance. The adults flinched, while Lucy and Jake hugged their older sister tightly, as they whimpered in fear. They then hear the sounds of Godzilla and the Military get farther away. 

  James finally stops the car as they're next to the clear street.

 "Okay so, let's hope from here we don't run into any more obstacles," James muttered, which Ethan caught.

 "Don't jinx us now."

  As they continue onwards, they see burning buildings, and roaming animals such as dogs digging through the trash. Ethan looks out the window to see a man holding a small charred corpse of what looks like a child as he is sitting against the wall of a building. This truly felt like The end of the world. 

  While they headed north, things just kept on looking worse, up to 11 bodies of people who were either squashed, burned or wounded were seen on their way. Either right outside of buildings or in the middle of the street. Ethan felt a tap on his shoulder, he turned to see his niece looking at him.

 "How much further is it?" Alice asks him.

 "Well, we shouldn't be too far, I say in about 10 minutes we'll be there," he says looking back at her. As it seems to reassure her, the van suddenly stops. Ethan looks at James with his eyebrow raised "James?"

 "Yeah I don't think we could go any further in this thing…" Everyone looked ahead of them to see a building had collapsed and blocked the entire street. "Damn, this was our last shot…" James mutters and he puts his head down.  

 "Well… there's no point in staying here." Ethan opens his door and exits the vehicle. He turns back to James and Taylor who looked at him as if he was crazy "Look, there's an entrance to the subway down the street by the rubble. We went down into the tunnels, and we could make it to 77th street, and then it would be a ten minute walk to the shelter from there."

  The two look at each other before sighing and begin to exit the car. James turned to his children, and quietly instructed them to exit the van. Ethan checks and takes out his flashlight as he sees Taylor walk up to him. 

 "Are your feet feeling better?" Ethan asks her, which she nods in reply;

 "Yeah, I guess taking the van helped me relax a bit."

 "That's great to hear," Ethan turns to everyone, who is now seen fully out of the vehicle and ready to go. A tank is suddenly thrown into the building behind them, causing the side of the building to explode. "Everyone go to the subway now!" Everyone begins to run as behind them soldiers are seen firing through the alley, as Godzilla's leg crashes down onto a car. Godzilla peaks his head through the alleyway, allowing Ethan and James to get a glimpse at the monster as it lets out a deep growl at the soldiers. 

   Its charcoal black scaly skin resembled those of crocodiles, it had small sharp ears, its head was sharp, and jagged, as many rows of spikes layed on the top of its head. Its eyes were primarily dark, however its pupils were a cloudy white. The monster pushed its way through the building, due to Ethan still in shock seeing it in person, James grabs his arm and pulls him down the stairs. As they finally reach the bottom of the stairs they hear the monster's deep and powerful roar from above. Everything suddenly shakes as an explosion is heard and the entrance was completely caved in.

   Ethan looks at James, and quietly thanks him, as he helps him up.

 "No problem man…" 

 "Is everyone alright?" Taylor asks them. Ethan counts the amount of people present.

 "1,2,3,4,5, and 6… seems everyone is accounted for." He then looks around for the subway map, and double checks if they're at the right place. "Okay, that's good. We're almost there… Hopefully it's still standing." Ethan whispers the last part as he scratches his head.

  Taylor walks up to Ethan, and places her hand on his shoulder.

 "Ethan, if the shelter is already gone… What do we do?"

 "... To be honest with you… I don't know." Taylor didn't look shocked at this statement, rather, she just felt pity for him. "I'm not meant for this… we already lost Abigail, all because I got separated. If I had kept moving, we probably would've already been in Boston by now."

 "Don't think like that, it's not your fault okay? The best we could do now is to keep moving forward." Taylor hugs him, at first he was unsure how to respond, before returning the hug. After a few more seconds, the two separate and Ethan looks at the kids.

   He walks up to them before kneeling down to their level, as he also holds their hands. He then signals for Alice to join them as well.

  "Okay, we're going to walk through that tunnel over there, I want you all to stay close to us okay? No one lags behind, once we get to the last station it should be a quick walk to the safe zone."  He then sticks out his pinky, "promise me… that each of you will stay by our side, no matter what." 

   The twins nod and wrap their pinkies around his. The man looks at the teenager, and signals for her to do the oath as well. The girl then puts her pinky in too, Ethan smiles and stands up. 

 "Stick with your dad, and we'll head into the tunnels." The three nod as they walk to their father. Taylor smiles at Ethan, as he jumps down to the tracks, and began to lead the way down the tunnels. 

  James, Taylor and Ethan switch on their flashlights. With the children in close, they looked at the now abandoned tunnel. The sound of rats running by, and the muffled explosions above them filled their ears. The twins huddle close to their father as Alice would look around nervously as rats run past her feet. 

  Taylor holds in to Ethan as they shined their lights ahead. Dust suddenly began to fall from the ceiling as a monstrous roar is heard above them. The two borther look at each other, before nodding and grab hold of their loved ones, and began to pick up the pace.