Chapter 12: Eurus

Two weeks after I'd gotten back, we went to visit Eurus.

When I was young my mother found out about Eurus and she and my father had a big fight over it. 

My parents didn't fight like most couples do. They didn't shout or scream at each other, instead they stated their opinions with a threatening voice and then gave each other the silence treatment  until one of them gave in or a compromise was made. That time they my father was the one to break first. After TWO WEEKS of total silence.

The day after my father gave in he brought us to visit Eurus. We continued to go there once a month, until my mother's death.

I loved visiting Eurus, because every time I met her she would teach me something new. She is the one who thought me how to change my appearance so that I am unrecognizable, the one who thought me how to go unnoticed, and how to deduce people better. 

My parents obviously had no knowledge of it.

But my favorite part was that at the end of every visit she would teach me how to play. She taught how to put my feelings into every wave of a violin string and every move of the black and white piano keys. That was the only part of the lessons my father knew about, but he didn't think much on it.

When my father had told me we were going to visit Eurus I was ecstatic.

--------time skip--------

I get out of the car and am soon engulfed in a hug.

"Isa!" My grandmother exclaims as her lets go of me " You're all grown up now! I've missed you so much! The amount of boys around here is dreadful." She says smiling at me. 

I smile back, happy that she isn't asking why I didn't visit. I was not in a very good place with my father but I didn't want to have to throw him under the bus either. My grandmother's anger is something you want to stay away from.

"Spin around! Let me see you! God you are so tall now!" She said while I obediently spun and Sherlock tried to hide his laugh.

My grandmother was a very excitable woman as you can see. 

My grandfather chuckles as he walks towards me taking me away from his wife and into his own hug.

"We missed you." He said softly.

"Well lets get going! I have a daughter to see!" I hear.

My grandfather lets go of me and we turn to the car.

"So! Isa! I heard from Sherlock who overheard your father that you already graduated college! Is that true?! Why weren't we invited to your graduation?! What did you wear?! Were your friends there?!" My grandmother exclaims exited.

This was going to be a looooooong ride.

--------time skip--------

*At Sherrinford

My feet make no sound as I step into the room after my father. Sherlock is already in the room playing a beautiful tune on his violin.

I look through the glass at Eurus, who is accompanying Sherlock with her own tune, her hand moving and twisting to create melodic sounds that seem to take up the whole room. She is different from the last time I saw her. Wrinkles now line her face and the light glow in her eyes has deemed from when I last saw her. 

As the song finishes she finally looks up and although her face stays the same her eyes seem to light up as they look me up and down. I smile. 

As the violin continues to play the song seems to get lighter and ever so slightly happy. 

When visiting hours finally come to an end, Sherlock takes a final bow and leaves the room with long strides, as if leaving a stage after a performance. 

"Sherlock, wait a moment, we'll take the elevator with you." My grandmother states while making sure that nothing was left behind. 

My grandparents enter the elevator; however, Sherlock closes it right as my father is about to enter, a perfect show of petty fights between brothers. 

My father sits back down and as he waits for the elevator to come back down.

"I might be inclined to bring a book or some articles to read during our next visit, what topic would you think would interest me?" I ask my father. However, as expected, he took no notice that I had spoken and flat out ignored me. I didn't mind it this time, as I expected that and it wasn't my true intent to ask what topic HE would like for me to read. I look to the side and stare Eurus in the eye, my eyebrow raised, while I waited for a response for a preferred topic. 

"Neurology." she mouths looking back at me with a smile. I nod my head in response.

The elevator soon pinged, letting us know that it had arrived, and I slowly walk towards it.

"Thank you." I hear Eurus say, her voice raspy from lack of use. She said it so faintly I was unsure I heard it, but I barely had time to think about it before I stepped into the elevator and was taken up.