Chapter 4: Love Is An Odd Thing

Amity continues to look at the human, but not like she had before. Ever since the diver incident Amity hadn't trusted her at all.

"I understand if you don't want to talk to me, Amity. I'm sorry about what happened." Luz looks down at the ground in front of her, not bothering to look around the tank for the mermaid.

"Bye, Amity." Luz sulkily walks out of the aquarium room, not sparing a glance back at the glass tank that held the mermaid.

From in the clumps of seaweed, the mermaid watches the human go. She didn't know much about humans, but she seemed genuinely sad.

Amity was disappointed the human left. All the other times she had stayed, rambling on about her mother or how she didn't have any friends.

That Amity was her only friend.

From inside her tank, Amity frowns, grabbing a piece of seaweed and taking it from it's spot, inspecting it from the lights around the tank.

The seaweed falls apart, the small pieces of it floating down to the bottom of the tank.

Amity didn't know how to get Luz to come to her, or to talk to her, she was still learning the human language.

"I.. Lov- Love," Amity mumbles, recalling the time Luz had said it when talking about her mother. Love. It was an odd word, with an even weirder meaning, or, so Luz had said.

'It works in odd ways,' Luz had said, smiling at the mermaid. She said sometimes it hurt, but sometimes it was a good type of love.

She also said the type of love between her and her dad wasn't either of those, it was cold. They rarely exchanged words, if they did, it was just her father telling her to do something.

Amity sighs, laying her body down on the sand, relaxing.

Luz would come back later, and she'd know how to speak human.